Friday, 9 June 2017

12 Years a Slave [Movie Review]

Hello there!

This is a review I have been putting off writing for so long. Mostly because this was such a depressing movie, but one I am so glad they made. It couldn’t have made the story of slavery more realistic and beautifully interpreted than they have done here. I wanted to see this movie because I read the true story book it was based off of by Solomon Northup. This movie adaption followed the words to the letter, and was even better than the written words. They captured some things in this movie that just couldn’t be captured in the words. I read the book before I saw the movie.

I had this movie for three months before I watched it because I didn’t want to see it alone. I am glad I didn’t, and was so happy to have my older sister by my side.

They have an amazing cast come together for this movie. There was Benedict Cumberbatch (who I thought I wouldn’t be able to get out of my mind as Sherlock, but that was fine), Brad Pitt, Paul Dano and Sarah Paulson. The main actor who played Platt/Solomon could not have done a better job. And the actress who played Patsy – my. Just thinking about this is making tears spring back to my eyes.


The filming job done in this movie was amazing. Steve McQueen, the person who made this movie should be seriously proud. Apart from the amazing acting, the cinematography was done brilliantly. The shots were all meaningful, the focus was on point. There was one scene where Solomon is standing in a precarious position for a long time in silence – (if you have seen the movie then you know what I am talking about) and that moment wouldn’t have hit home any harder if it was done in any other way.

The treatment of slaves in the past breaks my heart. I cried twice in this movie, and I don’t really cry when I watch things much. So people who are used to having waterworks, be prepared. I cried once at after Pasty’s biggest incident, and also at the very end of the movie.


What breaks my heart the most is that we never know how Patsy’s story will end. And that is simply because the person who this all happened to, who wrote this tale also doesn’t know how hers will end. I hope there was something better for her in her future, although it is hard to believe it at times.

This is one of those movies that I want to review, but I will never be able to truly review it right. It was too moving, too emotional, and too… too everything. I think the most justice I can do for this movie is making sure everyone watches it. Because it did justice to a lot of people who had to live and suffer through those times.


This movie won three academy awards. Each one of them rightly done so. It was the best movie I saw in 2014 and I am sure many others think so too. It’s rightly rated a 16 because this movie is harsh and reveals all. It runs for 128 minutes.

New Video! My haul of Chantilly and Co planner stickers. 


Olivia’s Question: Have you seen this movie? Have you read this book?


Olivia-Savannah x

8 comments:

  1. A very moving review. I haven't yet watched 12 Years A Slave, but now my curiosity is peaked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance to, you definitely should...

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this one. I'm too scared to. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite nervous to watch it too. But Joy, it's so worth it. <3

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this movie- yet. I know I will be emotional watching it. I also have had the book for a couple of years and really want to read it, but I haven't been able to yet. I think you did a beautiful job sharing your thoughts on this topic. Slavery is just so sad and tragic. It breaks my heart. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to believe that anyone can come out of this movie emotionally unchanged. The book is a bit harder to get through because of the style in which it is written, but I strongly recommend reading it as well as seeing the movie.

      Delete
  4. I understand what you mean when you have to delay a review. I do that too when I have to process my feelings. I haven't seen this movie yet, mainly because it's so sad. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... when emotions are too high it takes a time to clear your thoughts. Thanks Lonna :)

      Delete