Thursday, 20 October 2016

Fear The Drowning Deep [Book Review]

Hello there!

Title: Fear the Drowning Deep
Author: Sarah Glenn Marsh
Publisher: Sky Pony Press
Published Date: 11th October 2016
Rating: 4 Stars

*Thank you to SST Tours for the review copy*


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synopsis: Witch’s apprentice Bridey Corkill has hated the ocean ever since she watched her granddad dive in and drown with a smile on his face. So when a dead girl rolls in with the tide in the summer of 1913, sixteen-year-old Bridey suspects that whatever compelled her granddad to leap into the sea has made its return to the Isle of Man.

Soon, villagers are vanishing in the night, but no one shares Bridey’s suspicions about the sea. No one but the island’s witch, who isn’t as frightening as she first appears, and the handsome dark-haired lad Bridey rescues from a grim and watery fate. The cause of the deep gashes in Fynn’s stomach and his lost memories are, like the recent disappearances, a mystery well-guarded by the sea. In exchange for saving his life, Fynn teaches Bridey to master her fear of the water — stealing her heart in the process.

Now, Bridey must work with the Isle’s eccentric witch and the boy she isn’t sure she can trust — because if she can’t uncover the truth about the ancient evil in the water, everyone she loves will walk into the sea, never to return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: Fear the Drowning Deep was a novel I went into without quite knowing what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by the vivid world building and this eerily creepy sea story we have going on in this novel. It was the first of this author, and I really do hope this won’t be the last.

Immediately, the writing style sucked me in. I’m someone who goes on and on about writing style, but to me it really does make a big difference as to whether or not I’ll be able to enjoy the novel. I read this one in the space of only a few sittings because whenever I did sit down to read it; I didn’t want to stop reading. All I wanted to do was keep turning those pages, and I think Marsh’s writing style contributed to that quite a lot.


The novel is quite slow moving, which may bother some people. It’s a slow and steady story, that gets brewing right from the beginning but takes its time in letting the plot really kick in. It doesn’t mean that there is no suspense – there definitely is. It’s just the kind that happens over a few pages and makes you all the more eager to get to the end. The novel slowly adds in factors which raise the suspense. Oh, and most novels only have one issue that the protagonist needs to overcome, or one monster for them to defeat. Well, not this novel. There’s more than one, which just adds all the more to the story!

Manx (the place where the novel is set) made me originally think of an old age Ireland in the past. I wasn’t quite on point but I wasn’t too far away either. It’s set on the Isle of Man, in the past, during the time where no one wore shoes and fishing was the big deal. The author mentions in her note that if there was anywhere where music would happen, it would be there. I’ve never been blessed with the chance to visit the Isle of Man yet but one day I would like to. The descriptions made me imagine the sea salt in the air and the close-knit community of the island easily. There’s no way for me to better put the atmosphere and the setting of the novel as anything except I truly felt as if I was there!


The characters had me feeling a little mixed. The main character, Bridey, was done incredibly well. I could feel her raw energy and how much she cared about her friends. At first, she’s worried about her appearances to other people and during the course of the novel she starts to value her friendships and family more than that. Fynn is the mysterious boy who turns up on the island without any memory of his past or who he was. He was so caring and gentle that I couldn’t do anything but like his character. But as for the rest – the secondary characters and the family – I did like them well enough, but there wasn’t as much depth as I would have wanted to experience in a cast of secondary characters.

Sometimes the novel was a little too bizarre for me… and that means it was so strange that I couldn’t fully comprehend it as realistic. Even if that ‘realistic’ is in terms of a magical or paranormal world. I don’t know if that makes any sense, but it does to me. I tried :D


Anyway, this book was still a really good read. I kept turning pages and after not having read for a while, it was good to be so absorbed in a book as I was in this one. ^.^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Gif Summary: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: Do you like the ocean? Why/why not?

Olivia-Savannah x

36 comments:

  1. I actually had no idea what this one was about but now I want to read it. The world sounds beautiful and interesting.

    Regarding your question, NO I hate the ocean/any large body of water. The thought of not seeing land freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do read it, Amber. I am sure you will appreciate the world building a lot! I think if I was on a boat in the middle of all that water I would not be able to take it. But being on the brink of it is okay for me. I do understand where you are coming from though!

      Delete
  2. I have this thing against mer people in books. While I think it's a great world to explore, the mer world is a hard limit for me. I know. I suck. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it's not for you then it just isn't for you. You're good, Joy ^.^

      Delete
  3. It's so good to hear that you liked this book! When stories contain more suspense than action they can be hit or miss with me (distractions are not uncommon) but the characters and plot sound engaging so maybe I should check it out :D brilliant review as ever. And I like the ocean from a distance... not actually being in it ahah
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they can either be a hit or miss but this one worked out well enough for me. The characters really kept me intrigued as the suspense built up. Thanks Anna <3 Hehehe, it's good to admire it; doesn't always mean you need to make use of it yourself ;)

      Delete
  4. 'during the time where no one wore shoes and fishing was the big deal' - History 101 with Ms Olivia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, maybe I could have been a bit more accurate... :')

      Delete
  5. I just love great writing in a story, it can sometimes be very poetic and I love that you said this story was written well, especially since suspense and mystery novels are all about description. The cover looks so haunting too! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the writing was done beautifully. And I think good writing can change a lot about a book. Thanks Anissa <3

      Delete
  6. This sounds interesting! I love books with witches and a good writing style is always a plus for me.
    I'm not a big fan of the ocean mostly because I can't swim and the water scares me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many books with witches in them myself so I'm always looking for more. Those are some pretty solid reasons to not like the ocean. I've been surprised by how many people don't like it! D:

      Delete
  7. Hmm not a witch fan, but maybe, just maybe. Nice review, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try if you feel like it might be for you :)

      Delete
  8. I can't swim so the sea does scare me!! This sounds however a great read, definitely worth a look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really be able to love this one, so I highly recommend it to you! Not swimming is a good reason to not be a big sea fan :(

      Delete
  9. First, I love the cover. Second, the synopsis and your review has intrigued me to add this to my TBR list.
    Personally, don't like or dislike the ocean. But as I can't swim, definitely will give it some berth. Might dip my toes and walk along the shore but thatsthat's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too <3 It's so beautiful. I hope you'll be able to enjoy this book just as much as me or even more when you do get around to reading it! Ah, many people seem to be unable to swim D: I'm surprised...

      Delete
  10. Great review! I really agree with you on basically every point! I do wish I had gotten just a bit more background on the other characters, but Bridey and Fynn were great! OH and the witch, I forget her name, ahh, what was it? Morag? Did I make that up? (A quick look on Goodreads assures me that I didn't, which is kind of amazing for me, I am awful with names hah.) But the atmosphere was just incredible! OH and to answer your question, I do like the ocean! Though, I could live without the saltiness, blech. Hahha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we have similar thoughts! Yes, maybe a bit more expansion on them would have been nice. But the main ones were done well. And yes, Morag is the name ;) (I understand the forgetting of the character's names! I do that a lot with series D:) I'm glad we have someone who loves the ocean like me! There are so many who actually don't... D:

      Delete
  11. I love the premise of this novels...a young witch apprentice with a fear of the sea...and now there is something in the sea that is drowning people so she must overcome her fear to find out what it is. Sounds like a great fantasty YA read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is good and the premise had me hooked as well :D

      Delete
  12. I've seen this one around, and I'm now curious. I want to know why ppl go into the sea!
    And no, I don't fear the ocean. I love to swim and I crave the ocean in the summer more than I do swimming pools. Yeah,,It's dangerous but there's something calming about it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check it out. I think you could like this one well enough. I crave it too. I love it to pieces <3 As long as it's a beach though. I wouldn't do too good on a cruise...

      Delete
  13. This sounds really good, Olivia! Even to me, who really isn't a fan of mermaid-y stories. The mystery and the witch could probably completely win me over,though.
    Great review!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They mystery side of the novel does justice for those who aren't sea-fans in their books. Glad you liked the review :3

      Delete
  14. Really nice post!


    STYLEFORMANKIND.COM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deep waters are one of my fears. Will I get scared? I wonder.
    Great review though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a worthy fear to have. I hope you can overcome it at some point though :c

      Delete
  16. I LOVE THE OCEAN! Especially...the sound of oceanic waves crashing the shore. I also has a fear for such a powerful force. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the ocean. I have always thought it would be cool to be a mermaid. :) The cover of this one is really awesome. The story definitely sounds interesting and different.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to be a mermaid in my childhood too. :3 It really was a unique read - I don't think I've read anything like it before.

      Delete
  18. I'm not sure that I could 'hang' with the slow pacing but I love the fact that the setting reminded you of an ancient Ireland! Great review Olivia! :)
    Miranda @ Miranda's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone, I agree. But yes, the setting was splendid!

      Delete