Sunday, 5 June 2016

Behind the Scenes [Blog Tag]

Hello everyone! 

I hope you are all having a good weekend. I'm busy studying for exams.

So instead of review, enjoy a book tag I took way too long getting round to doing. 

I was tagged for the Behind the Scenes tag by Allison @ Allison the Writer

It's a writing tag... but I love writing so much I cowrite at another blog called These Writerly Conundrums about it. So I thought it wouldn't be too bad to share here too.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a snack you like to eat while writing?

Not really. I usually have a cup of tea with me, and the possible odd chocolate biscuit to dip into it. (I'm British, gotta love my cuppa ^.^) But otherwise, I'm way too in the zone to be eating and writing. If I do have dried mango, I might snack on that a little while writing. 

But then again, if I did have dried mango, I would be snacking on it all the time until it was finished. 

What time of the day do you usually write at?

When it comes to novel writing, I really like to do it in the early hours of the day. Any time before midday works for me, especially at 6am when everyone else is still sleeping. I'm very much a morning person and I am the best I can be at anything as long as it is fairly early on in the day. 

When it comes to poetry writing, I write that best from 9-5 I think. Probably because that's when I'm supposed to be listening in school. Oops >.>



Where do you write? 

I usually write in my bedroom. I'm next to my desk in the most cases with my feet propped up on my bed and my laptop resting on my legs because I type fastest that way. In fact, that's how I am writing this blog post at the moment.

But when I'm writing poetry, I can do it anywhere. In class. In a bus. Anywhere really, as long as I have my notebook with me (which I just so happen to carry everywhere, because inspiration strikes me at the strangest of times.)

How often do you write a new novel?

I'm currently editing a novel I have been working on for the past 2 years... so...

But it has ONLY taken that long because I keep getting distracted and side tracked with other new shiny ideas. Which I invest about 30,000 words in before I return to my main novel. I should really work on trying to avoid doing that...


Do you listen to music while you write?

Not really? Sometimes I am so in the zone that I want silence. 

However, lately I've been playing my Thor: The Dark World OST soundtrack while I write. And it's actually nice. 

What's your writing utensil? Paper or laptop?

It depends. As you know, when it's my novel, I'm on the laptop. When it's poetry, I'm writing in my notebook. And when it's a children's novella (I've only written one of those) or a short story, it's just random pieces of paper and written by hand. 


Do you have a special pre-writing ritual?

Not really? I make sure I have everything I need and that I've done everything I need to do in order to avoid as many distractions as possible. I pull out my planning, because I always have (yes, even for poetry.) Then I just get started.

What do you do to get into the writing mood?

Sometimes I read a little before writing. This can be writing tips, or the book I'm currently reading, or even the last part of the novel that I wrote before stopping. But usually the writing mood is the reason why I'm already writing :D 



What do you always have near the place you write?

1. My planning. 
2. Pen and paper. To scribble ideas down. 
3. My mini-idea notebook. When inspiration strikes I save it in there for later. (I think you're seeing that I have a lot of notebooks. 
4. My phone. This may seem like a distraction to some people, but I sometimes need to look things up on the internet to double check I'm not lying to my readers. 
5. A hair bubble/tie because I really dislike my hair getting in the way of my vision when I am writing, or reading. 

Do you have a reward system for word counts?

I don't! But you know what? I should do D: 



Is there anything else about your writing process your readers don't know?

Well, maybe they already DO know this, but this blog started because I want to be an author. Publishers/agents always appreciate an author who can bring an email subscriber list and already have a group of potential readers for their novel. What better way to have that than through a blog? And even better - a book blog?

Yet, if my dream of being an author died away today, I would still keep blogging. I know it helps to have one but blogging has grown to mean so much more to me than that. But yes, one day I do want to publish my novel that I have been labouring over for two years. And yes, maybe you'll be hearing about it on here too when the time is right ^.^
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tag!
Inge & Aly @ Of Wonderland 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olivia's Question: Do you write? If not, what's your dream job?

Olivia-Savannah x

44 comments:

  1. Great post Olivia, I would love to write but motivation is lacking! Maybe if I could get up earlier I would have more time but I love sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving sleep is never a crime! And you should always make sure you get enough of that first <3 Hopefully you can write something soon!

      Delete
  2. I respect everyone who can write in the morning, I barely know my name. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone is a morning person :P <3

      Delete
  3. Blogging is writing too! (I have decided this, and now nothing will change my mind!)

    And I'd still love to read some of your poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree! It really is. You might do at some point. I'm working on an anthology ;)

      Delete
  4. Such a cool tag! I hope all goes well with publishing your novel one day! My number one dream job is to be an author one day so I'm keeping my hopes up high :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I will be able to achieve it! And you've already gone and published one yourself :D

      Delete
  5. Love this post, Olivia! You're an inspiring woman. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Joy. You always say the loveliest things <3

      Delete
  6. Wow! This is a very insightful post. It's funny that we have pretty similar writing habits, even though I'm writing music and not words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe there isn't too much difference between the two! Glad you could like this one :3

      Delete
  7. I HEART THIS POST SO HARD LIV! :) I loved ever thin about it! Maybe its because I related to it so much? And OMG... how the heck are you able to type on your lap?? I tried that but NO WAY JOSE. It just feels super awkward to me. :/ I loved your pics and love how creative you are! You're going to be a successful author! That's obvious. <3 SO glad we met through blogging and happy to be your co-blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I am glad you can relate! It's funny because working at a desk doesn't always work for me... it needs to be just the perfect height or I can't write like that and it feels awkward for me! I guess we are opposites in that way. Aww, thanks Keionda <3 I hope so *fingers crossed* AND SO YOU WILL BE TOO. Aww, I'm always happy to have met you and keep knowing you now :D

      Delete
  8. I'm definitely not a writer, but I admire all your processes. My dream job is to be a librarian, believe it or not. I was tempted to go to school for Library Science, but instead chose computer science, but I had to drop out when life took a left turn and take a job that I really like, but don't like at the same time. I'm hoping to go back to school one day so that I can do what I love. I was also interested in education - particularly teaching geometry - but computer science won out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't have to be one - just be you. Writing was a passion which somehow came hand in hand with reading for me. Shame that life sort of got in the way but I do hope you get to go back to school at some point. Maybe even become a librarian ;)

      Delete
  9. I really liked getting to know you as a writer in this post. And those were great pictures you used! Loved the last but one, you look so serene!
    I usually have tea when I'm writing too, but I prefer no snacks. So distracting.
    You are going to get that novel published, I know. The world is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Manisha <3 I've been sharpening up my photography as always, after I see your great pictures. Tea is so calming. Thanks Manisha! I hope so hehe :3

      Delete
  10. Liked the pics with your answers. You look like a pro sitting at your laptop plugging away on your story. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha been doing it for a while now! Would like to think that :)

      Delete
  11. Ooh, this is fun. We don't normally see what's going on behind the scenes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to have a little sneak peek, right?

      Delete
  12. Fun post - I love to read things 'behind the scene'.

    I write on my blog and sometimes for my job, but I've never tried writing a book.I have a story in my head and I love to think about it, work out details, characters etc. but I've never felt the urge to write it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe writing isn't for you. But it's nice that you do have ideas and of course, blogging is also a form of writing. Probably why I love it so much.

      Delete
  13. YAY, Olivia! I love my notebooks, too - and I have a ton of them. Even when I write a long paper for Uni, I prefer to have my notebooks so that I can start writing in long hand before entering everything on the computer.
    I think that sharing 'behind the scenes' is always interesting, because it allows us all to get to know you better :)
    I hope you're having a fantastic week.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay another notebook lover! Yes, notebooks are so wonderful and handy and occasionally, nothing beats hand writing.

      Delete
  14. I loved reading about your behind the scenes process. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, interesting tag, Olivia-Savannah! (And thanks for tagging me in it, by the way!) I hadn't seen this one before but it was pretty neat to read all your answers (I don't think I knew you were a writer? So that's something very big and very new I've just learnt! *laughs*) and consider how they might apply to me, particularly when it comes to writing routines! Because I know I *do* have a routine, of sorts, but I don't really think of it like that until I make myself think of my "writing routine" and know things I like to have near, when I'm working, but again- unless I specifically think about it, I don't really take much notice of what they are. So that was really interesting for me to read and consider.

    I've got to say, also, that that second last picture is absolutely gorgeous! I really, really like it.

    Yes. I am in agreement with the need for tea. I go through so much tea when writing/editing/reading. It can get a little ridiculous, but I do so love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't know I liked writing? Wow, I can't believe that, especially as I am always commenting on your writing post. Maybe I just forgot to bring it up :P I am looking forward to seeing your answers too, and comparing.

      Thank you <3

      Tea is brilliant! It's good for any time really, but especially while writing. It has that calming effect.

      Delete
  16. Loved learning more about you. I write at night. I have a huge TV tray type thing with my laptop on it in form on my TV in the family room. I like the TV on in the background while a write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know those kind of telly tray things because a best friend of mine has some. I would personally find the telly too distracted but what works for you does~

      Delete
  17. It's nice to learn a little more about you. Best of luck to you on the novel writing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with the writing - hope I have a chance to read your first book soon!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these pictures! Especially the one with your eyes closed and the pages in the background looks really cool and artsy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely <3 Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  20. What an amazing post :D we both need to start a reward system for word counts! Before I've tried food but then I eat it halfway through anyway which defeats the purpose ahah. I can't wait to hear more about this book... oh and thanks for tagging me!
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm not sure what I can think up just yet that won't be too much of a distraction but I am sure we can do it!

      Delete
  21. I think it's so cool that you enjoy writing so much! :D I used to write a lot when I was a child. Now I'm very happy just keeping my blog and sharing my thoughts on things :)

    My dream job has always been to be a movie / video game character designer, I think that'd be awesome!! It'd be so amazing to see them become real!! :D It sounds pretty cool, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy it though haha (I'm not a big fan of digital drawing and 3D modeling yet, I'm more about traditional drawing). But right now I'm a web developer and want to learn some Android and iOS development as well one day, and I'm very happy and enjoy doing this a lot ^-^

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging is enough for a lot of people and it's already a lot of writing, so I can definitely see why.

      I see how your ambitions have changed over the years but it's so cool that you have a tech-savvy mind and want to go into that kind of thing. I could never do that, so I'm admiring you for it ^.^

      Delete