Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Dissension (Book Review)

Hi there!

Title: Dissension (The Blood Inheritance Trilogy #1)
Author: Adrienne Monsoon
Publisher: Jolly Fish Press
Published Date: 23rd February 2013
Rating: 3 Stars

*Thank you to the author for the review copy*

Synopsis: Fists are pumping, bodies gyrating, sweat dripping—booming music drowns out all other noise in the dark club. Leisha, dressed in skimpy, revealing clothes, eyes her victim. As soon as he sets eyes on her, she knows he's hers. He becomes excited as despicable thoughts of murder run through his mind, all readable by Leisha's abnormal senses. After a bit of small talk, they are soon both out the door, Leisha pushed against the wall. The man pulls out a knife, ready to cut up this beautiful woman. Leisha smiles as she deflects the knife and bites into his neck, sucking every ounce of life from this abominable man.

It wasn't always this way.

Leisha was once a loving mother with an ideal family. Though this was over two thousand years ago, Leisha still holds that time dear to her heart. But for now, she must focus on trying to escape the eternal and bloody war between her kind—the Vampires—and the Immortals, an undying race sworn to destroy her people. Soon, Leisha finds herself captured by the government only to be saved by a young and mysterious human girl. What entails is the beginning of a long and torturous journey as Leisha and her newfound friend run for their lives while searching for the one thing that can end it all—the prophecy child.

Review: Dissension by Adrienne Monsoon was a break I needed. I have been reading a lot of YA lately, and a lot of contemporary kind of books. Although I have had a lot of fantasy as well, it was high time for me to get back to some good old paranormal books. This one fulfilled my want for that perfectly. This novel is packed with vampires – a familiar concept, and also something called Immortals which was new and unique. I liked the mix of what I was comfortable with and also something new to toy with too.

While this novel is the first one in a trilogy and does set up some storyline plots for future books, it also has its own plot arc for this book which leads to a conclusion as well. Many first books in a series just seem to miss out on that little essential thing to make the first book splendid. But this one gave us answers, an exciting climax AND also a few questions left open for book two!


The main characters in this book were Leisha, a vampire, and Samantha who is a normal teenage girl. Well, as normal as you can get when you’re having visions. I love reading from their points of view until they met, and their fast friendship was so easy to understand. I loved Leisha’s personality especially. She is a vampire but she doesn’t like killing people for their blood unless they are necessarily bad people. As usual when it comes to being an unwilling vampire, I liked the internal conflict it brought to her. Samantha as well was just a teenage human girl, but she knew she had importance. She was smart beyond her years and tried to be the best person she could be in all her decisions. She was way too sweet for me to ever dislike!

I also really approved of the storyline too. There are hints of a war between the Immortals and Vampires seeing as they are natural enemies. However, a prophecy and a promise child also come into play. There was a lot of torture too – it never gets too graphic but I think it just shows how serious both sides were when it comes to hating themselves. And as well as these two paranormal parties there are also the humans who are trying to capture paranormal creatures and experiment on them to understand. They put an interesting little twist on everything.



While I did like the characters and did care for them, I still felt a little bit distant. There wasn’t as deep of a connection as I would ideally want. What I did like about what Monson did was that these characters all had history between them already. As the story goes on we get more parts to the story and hints as to what their backgrounds are. I liked that there was suspense and a slow unraveling of the situation.

Overall, I loved this story. The fast pace and the action kept me on my toes. There are all these characters ploying and fighting to be leader. I cannot wait to know what happens in book two (which I already have!)

Want to enter a giveaway for the book? Click HERE!

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: Is there a genre you wish you read a bit more of?

Olivia-Savannah x

18 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting - you gotta love a vampire or two (or three, or four...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. [ Smiles ] My sort of reading material!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always happy when the first book in a series works just as well on its own. It sounds like a great "good old paranormal" read and it kinda makes me want to pick up a Southern Vampire Mysteries novel again (they are my guilty pleasure).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love when a first book is like that! You go for those guilty pleasures, girl ;)

      Delete
  4. I love the cover, sounds like a read I might like. Thanks for the giveaway link :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read a vampire book, but I love vampire movies. Maybe I'll give this a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really try a vampire read!

      Delete
  6. I can't remember the last time that I read a book, solely based on vampires. I read the normal PNR/UF that feature vamps, but not as main characters. To answer your question: I wish I read more non-fiction books. I'm so caught up in fiction that I barely make the time to read any real life stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are a lot of paranormal books that feature them, but don't purely base around vampires alone anymore.

      Delete
  7. It's great you already have book #2 so you don't have to wait to continue reading this series. Glad you enjoyed it. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! When I have book 2 straight away available to me, it makes me so happy :D

      Delete
  8. I like the idea of this one but I think I'll probably pass. Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame that it isn't for you :( But thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Hate not having a connection but this sounds kind cool. Love me some vampires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my vampire stories too! It was a pretty cool book ;)

      Delete