Saturday, 19 March 2016

Olivia Snaps ~ The Eiffel Metamorphosis

Hey everyone. I hope you have a good weekend. 

Olivia Snaps is a meme here where I share some of my photography with you all, even though I have no photography skills... I was thinking that it would be time to share some Paris pictures with you, and some thoughts that I had while I was there. Today, I'm going to be centering things around the Eiffel Tower.


When I went to Paris last month, it was the third time I was there. I went once when I was really small and we climbed the Eiffel Tower that time. I went once last summer and we looked at the tower but I felt kind of underwhelmed. I had no interest in climbing it again or seeing it. Maybe that's because every time I saw it, it was in the day. But this time when we went, my sister and I visited it at night. And because we visited it on the hour, it sparkled for us. My breath caught - I was head over heels captivated with the tower. And even though it's just a tower... it had my full attention. What was it about that structure that had me caught up in it? That had so many people caught up in wanting to visit?


I'm still not sure that I can really answer that question for someone. I could appeal to the side of history and say that this tower has a lot of backstory to it. Built in 1889 and yet today people still come from all corner of the world to see it. That has to make it special. Especially seeing as there are so many people who have climbed it since then. In 2010, the tower had it's 250 millionth visitor climbing it. That's certainly something.


I could decide to take the literature-student-in-me side of things and mention how it is a universal symbol. You could hold an image of the Eiffel Tower up to a young child and many of them could name what it is. It's just something people know about. It's a world wide symbol that we can all understand. And I guess for those who have visited it, at the moment you stand next to it or even climb it, you're connected to all those 250 million people plus who have visited before you. As cheesy as this sounds, you could call the tower the glue holding a loosely connected community together.


Or, you know, you can just call it a tower. With lights along it. Because really, that's what it is too. That's probably what was going through my mind the second time I saw it. And that's what makes it so nice to think about. Like a book (I'm always going to compare things to books, even towers. Bookworm that I am) it's something that everyone has access to, but no two people think of in the exact same way.


So yes, while I was there we saw the Tower a lot. It's only a walk away from my sister's place. And it sparkled, and we posed, and there were people who cheered when they saw it. It really does look magnificent and I would recommend you take the time to visit it when you go to Paris :)


My final picture below is the sequence I put together of my favourite photos of the Eiffel Tower. I call it the 'Eiffel Metamorphosis' because I like the latter word and I think it fits!


Olivia's Question: Have you ever seen/climbed the Eiffel Tower? Would you like to? And has a building/architecture ever moved you in some way?

Olivia-Savannah x

32 comments:

  1. I've never seen the Eiffel Tower, but I've never left Australia so I haven't had the chance to. I love that Europeans have the opportunity just to "pop into" other countries for visits. It kind of blows my mind. And while I see that it is just a tower, it's just so iconic and beautiful that I don't think I could live without seeing it once in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are plenty of Australian wonders that you have seen which I haven't yet though! It is handy that everything is so close together in Europe although I do want to travel outside of Europe too!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, girl! That's amazing. How majestic was it? Great snaps too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paris, how I want to visit thee! I've not been outside the States, but Paris and London are places I want to visit. There are lots of attractions and monuments here that I've seen, but I don't get all giddy about them. My favorite place is Orlando FL. I just love everything about that city, so I go a lot. I think the Wonderworks attraction is my favorite there. The building looks upside down, but It's the coolest inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like such a cool place! I'm going to note that down for when I go on my trip around all the states. It might be in, I don't know, say 100 years? When I have the money saved? BUT I fully intend to go one day!

      Delete
  4. [ Smiles ] It is nice to know that you are giving photography your best shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best even though I know I'm not the best :3

      Delete
  5. Yesssss I've seen it, a friend of mine lives there and your beautiful pictures take me right back to these lovely memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad those moments were nice ones worth remembering ;)

      Delete
  6. My mom and I are currently planning a trip to Paris and Italy within the next year or so! The Eiffel Tower is so gorgeous and you took some amazing pictures of it! I can't even begin to imagine just how majestic it must have been in person. One place that moved me is actually kind of interesting; it was a car from a train. A couple of years ago I went to the Holocaust Museum and there was a train car on display that was dilapidated and rusty. It just seemed so awful to know people were stuffed in those small spaces, scared and hungry and it made me tear up so badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will be able to experience some of the things I did (and more) when you go see/climb it for yourself. And a trip to both Italy and Paris sounds like so much! But wow, it must have been hard to see that train carriage. It's almost impossible to imagine what it truly must've been like to have been in their position...

      Delete
  7. (at the risk of sounding like a 3 year old child) pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd never sound like a three year old child! But thank you x

      Delete
  8. Ooooooh, so pretty. My favourite is the fourth picture down... STUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen the real one, I did see the fake one at Walt Disney World! I'd love to see it though it looks so romantic and magical! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be quite a few smaller or fake ones around. I do hope you get to see it :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful! The only Eiffel Tower I've seen in person is the one in Las Vegas. Haha. I know. Doesn't count. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll see the real one, one day ^.^

      Delete
  11. Beautiful pictures!!! One day I would love to see the Eiffel Tower as well as many other places like that in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling Europe will be fun. Here's to future plans :D

      Delete
  12. How beautiful the Eiffel Tower is at night. I had no idea. Thanks for the pics. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is night when it comes to life!

      Delete
  13. Haha yeah, the Eiffel Tower is pretty much a tower with lights along it. But what a pretty tower! :)

    I did go there once, but visitors weren't allowed to the top that day, I don't remember why. BUT OMG WAS I GRATEFUL FOR THAT CAUSE I'M SO SCARED OF HEIGHTS. My parents said that I didn't have to think like that, that I should see it as an experience... The hell with that! It's awful hahaha. A couple of years ago we went to NYC and climbed all those nice skyscrapers... Yes yes, IT IS a nice experience, but I did want to die when I looked down sometimes omg. Although I'll admit it wasn't as bad as thinking of going to the top of the Eiffel Tower, I don't know, I just feel my stomach drop when I remember that there's this empty space between the second floor and the first floor! And then between that one and the ground... There's just nothing there, just space!!! D:

    I know I'm not making any sense, this is just the phobia of heights talking :P

    Your pictures are sooo beautiful by the way, I really like the sequence!! :D

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know the feeling! I have a fear of heights too. I'm always willing to go up, but once I get up there I freak out majorly and I don't know I keep putting myself through situations like that. Maybe because I like to take pretty pictures from high places xD

      Delete
  14. Yes I've been up to the top of the Eiffel tower quite a few times actually! It is such a humbling, fascinating experience each and every time. I love the progression of your pictures, and I too think that the Eiffel tower illicit different feelings and perspectives in each person. Great post and nice pictures!!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you've been able to go quite a few times! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete