Tuesday, 22 March 2016

29 (Book Review)

Hi there!

Title: 29
Author: Nancy Pennick
Publisher: Allison-Hayes Books
Published Date: 3rd November 2015
Rating: 3 Stars

*Thanks to the author for the review copy*

Synopsis: Allie Sanders thinks life in a small town can’t get any more dull and boring. She plans to escape after graduation. After a bad break-up, she wants to sail through junior year without distraction. Then the mysterious loner sits down in front of her in AP English. He’s the guy she noticed last year desperately trying to stay invisible. She wants to know his secrets.

Suddenly her much older military brother, Doug, makes a rare appearance. He takes a special interest in her life. Suspicious of his motives Allie holds back, never really trusting him. Doug wants what she wants—the boy she has come to love. No way would she let that happen. She’d go against family and friends to protect him—and his secrets—even if it ends up breaking her
heart.

Review: 29 by Nancy Pennick was one that took me by surprise. I managed to read the majority of it in a single day. It was quick read and I flew through it.

What intrigued me the most about this book was the fact that it had to do with a secret society of boys/men who were all born on February 29th, a leap year day. Those particular men were given special “powers” like super strength or brainpower or some other things. For that reason, they are wanted by the military in order to be used as soldiers whether those particular people are willing to do so or not. It was a very creative idea and I hadn’t heard of anything like it before, so of course I wanted to read more about it. The concept behind Niners was built up very well.

Then we have our main character, called Allie. She seems to be the one who is stuck in the middle, seeing as her boyfriend turns out to be one of those Niners but her oldest brother happens to be part of the military group that is rounding all of those particular people. You see how she has the issue of wanting to keep her boyfriend and brother far away from each other? As well as that, no one is allowed to know who her boyfriend really is for his safety… and then there is the issue of her not knowing which group is actually the good one. They’re both telling her different things, but who is really the bad, or the good? Or are the lines a bit more grey than that?

Although I really did enjoy the plot and the dilemma to this book, at times I found the writing style to have a bit of a young feel to it. In general, it didn’t deter me from reading or distract me too much. But in terms of the romance sometimes I felt like it wasn’t entirely believable. But at other points I could definitely see how some people would act like that in a relationship. I would recommend this book for the younger YA audience I think.

Nate and Ashley were Allison’s best friends. I really liked the both of them, because they were always there for her no matter what she needed or wanted. I think as a group of three, they really did have a true friendship and that was something I could admire throughout the book a lot.

I was also a bit annoyed by some of the choices that Allison made. Whenever her boyfriend was out of the scene for whatever reason, or she was experiencing some difficulties in their relationship, she seemed to run back to her ex. I can understand that, but it also made me feel like she couldn’t do without a boyfriend of some sort, or didn’t want to try and stick out the single life… which bothered me a bit.
 
How I felt about Doug the WHOLE time


The action was a bit want worthy in places, but the ending had a good climax where everything came to a pinnacle and some tough decisions had to be made. I really like that Allison had to be independent in that moment and really needed to ‘save herself.’ She maybe have a boyfriend who has powers, but she is also her own person and he can’t do everything for her. I liked that Pennick didn’t just turn her into a damsel in distress but made her strong too.

It was a good read!

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: Do you think you could leave your family behind if you were saving them by doing so?


Olivia-Savannah x

18 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this overall. The Leap Day thing sounds interesting. I also sometimes have an issue with books that have writing that slants to the younger side. Great review!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a unique idea! I didn't mind the younger slant as much as I thought I would.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Olivia - I think I could definitely leave my family behind if I knew I was saving them by doing so. It would be oh so difficult, though.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be hard, but I think I would too if I knew I was saving them.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting premise - but I have the feeling that a lot of the characters have been at the special bottle marked 'stupid pills' which are handed out liberally among fictional people ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... sometimes they make some pretty dumb decisions. But not that many!

      Delete
  4. I tend to not enjoy stories where the writing is juvenile. I know it's aimed for a YA audience, but that doesn't mean the writing can't be thought provoking. Also, the romance puts me off. I don't like it when characters can't make up their minds about who to be with. The whole 29 thing seems unique though. To answer your question, yes I could leave my family if it meant their safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this isn't one for you... but the aspect of the Niners was one I really enjoyed :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds intriguing but I'm not sure. I like the whole the mysterious guy walks into the room thing but still...nice review anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like the idea of a secret society on people born of the 20th of Feb. It makes me wonder if such an organization exist already. Won't that be cool?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice share. The concept sounds great. I've never heard of such a book, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, I won't be reading it since you mention the writing wasn't the best. I think it's probably best for the younger YA folks. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concept was really good, but it was a shame the writing style held it back a bit :/

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear that you liked this one. I had no idea that this book had that connection to Feb. 29th! Cool! Definitely curious about this one. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love how I read it during a leap year as well :D

      Delete