Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Dear Malala

Dear Malala,

I may be a bit late to the party but I just finished reading your autobiography about your life. And it seems like you did have a very difficult time and fought hard for the education of everyone, especially girls. I don’t usually read autobiographies but after hearing about the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize ever and how you were shot, I felt the need to learn more.

It turns out you have been fighting for education and rights long before the shooting, as has your father. Your family sound lovely and it really seems like even at a young age you were striving to be the best you can, loving school and working towards giving the opportunity of education to everyone possible. It amazes me to know what risks you were taking when I was still young enough to worry about if I was going to get the latest item of technology for Christmas or not. My awareness was no where near as wide as yours.

Which is why I am writing to you right now. I want to say thank you.

Thank you for doing all you can to give those who don’t get an education the opportunity to have it.
Thank you for speaking out.
Thank you taking risks.
Thank you for surviving.
Thank you for not letting anyone keep you from speaking out.

And now, I am going to tell you what I want.

I want to fight for girls education and for the education of everyone around the world.
I love reading, I love writing, and I love learning. I may not be appreciative of school every day that I go, but I am grateful for having this freedom, and this opportunity.

Your book has turned my thinking around. You and your father both have worked so hard for this cause and I truly believe it is a worth one.



I am going to stop writing now, and go and act out in any way I possibly can, after doing some research.

Thank you, for opening my eyes.

(I Am Malala is currently being read with the book club Owls Be Reading.)

New Video! Book review of The Goldfinch!


Olivia's Question: How much do you value education?

Olivia-Savannah x

37 comments:

  1. I love your letter to Malala and Malala herself. She is indeed an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really is an inspiration! I haven't read the book but if I had the chance to read it, I definitely would try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do read it when you get the chance to!

      Delete
  3. Awesome post Olivia, making me want to read the book! And yes, let's spread education and reading to the world!!!! (Sorry, I have flu, so blame the fever, instead of the coffee - for once :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we do need to spread our education! More people should be able to unlock the wonderful world of reading too ;)

      Hope you get better soon as well.

      Delete
    2. Glad you agree ;) and thanks v much - flu's not much fun!

      Delete
  4. I need to read it ASAP!! I have it on my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait till you get the chance to read!

      Delete
  5. Education is valuable to every human being on this earth. However, it is very important to minorities, as we had been denied it in the past. Women in other countries have been denied education. And it all boils down to control. The less you know, the easier it is to manipulate you. Slaves were killed for learning to read and write. When slavery was abolished, the now African Americans were still denied decent education. So many black schools burned down during that time. It makes me sick to think about. They wanted to keep us ignorant so that they could have the upper hand. Segregation. I hate that word. To this day, people still think African Americans are dumb and sorry. They only say that now, since we stopped working for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you. Education is vital and I think we do need to reach towards those who have been denied and ARE being denied it as well. It's so terrible to know that people are depriving others of their right to education just because it is easier to control people. It's horrible.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Olivia - Wonderful acclamation to a brave young woman. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. This letter is so sweet! I haven't read this book either, mostly because I'm always distracted by the new and shiny. But as someone who ADORES education and will fight for it to be a human right, I know I need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! That's why it took me a little while to get to this one too, but it is so worth putting aside the shiny new books for a little while ;)

      Delete
  8. I love this post! What a great letter! I haven't read this book yet- but I have been wanting to read it since a friend's son told me it was the best book he read last year. I am so glad you were inspired.

    I know I am thankful for my education and finding ways to help others is a wonderful goal. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was one of my favourites from last year as well.

      Delete
  9. [ Smiles ] She is a well-known international figure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is such an inspiration!I feel guilty knowing I probably have the capacity to do something but I just don't, when a girl so young and from an environment that did much to destroy her spirit, she rose and she stood against so much wrong.
    It's wonderful she kindled a fire in you Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldn't feel guilty at all! You can always do a little something, even if it is just to share her story or speak up for education when you can :)

      Delete
  11. Aw this is beautiful, Olivia! Malala is just... incredible. She is an inspiration- and I feel like that isn't even a big enough word for how amazing she is. To have gone through what she's been through, and to not only keep fighting for her cause, but to actually use her attempted murder as a platform to do good with- there's nothing greater and more courageous than that. I really need to read her book, thank you for this gorgeous letter, and the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has gone through so much but she simply keeps going and is speaking for a lot of people with her voice as well. I hope you do get to read her book at some point as well ^.^

      Delete
  12. It's wonderful how you wrote to Malala. Beautiful! And I think you did a great job painting the Goldfinch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful letter! I have yet to read Malala's book but she is no doubt one of my biggest inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that. I hope you get t read it soon!

      Delete
  14. Naww, such an adorable video!! Really love your accent. And your letter to Malala is so beautiful, gives me hope in this world to see people striving to make things better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you <3 I think we should always be working to make things better.

      Delete
  15. Love you letter to Malala! Amazingly inspiring woman. I still need to read her autobiography, something I should hurry up and do.

    ReplyDelete