Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Ender's Game (Movie Review)

Hello there everyone!

Today I am reviewing a film called Enders Game. I knew I just had to watch it after I had read and reviewed the book, seeing as I loved every minute of reading. It was a bit nerve-wrecking to watch because I wanted to film to do the book justice in so many ways. Unfortunately, I don't think the movie quite did that for me.


The movie follows Ender, a teenager who is a genius. He’s as smart as an adult, but he is not the only child like this. There is a whole school of them who get sent to Battle school in space to become possible commanders. These commanders are necessary to fight a space-war against the aliens, called Buggers, who have previously fought a war with the humans and so far are being held back. But now they need a boy to step forwards and win this war once and for all… hence Ender.

What I think was the greatest disappointment in the movie was the ending. They were building up to it the whole way through but the great big plot twist didn't feel very... effectively done in the movie itself? It was interesting for the sake of watching it and if I didn't know what was going to happen maybe it would have hit me harder. But generally speaking, I was a bit disappointed. 

I will say that I was very impressed with the effects. There is a lot of technology mentioned in the book and the graphics did such a good job with making them look advanced. Especially the Battle Room where they have war training. It fell right into place with how I imagined it would be in the books. 

I think Asa Butterfield did a great job of acting as Ender Wiggin. I’ll admit I wasn’t so sure at the beginning of the movie, but then after we encountered any scenes including Bonzo I think he really fit the part. I think the scenes with Bonzo and Ender had to be some of my favourites. They were both great at acting their roles but it seemed like the storyline of the movie itself let it down here.

It was pretty hilarious to see Moises Arias (Rico from Hannah Montana) in the film. I was not expecting that ! He did do a great job, but he’s just as short as always, so when he was pushing around Ender it was still funny to see Ender having to talk down to him. I couldn't recall whether he was that height in the book as well?

Things I didn’t like about the movie were that they used the voice over too much to give information, in my opinion. Unlike in the book, there was no showing of Valentine’s and Peter’s ordeal with politics back on earth, which were important scenes to me. They also had to cut out a lot of the training sessions and battles but I can forgive that because they did have to narrow down a whole novel into two hours worth of filming. There was none of the depth in the movie that the book contained, which is why I can safely say that the book is many times better than the movie.

Ender’s Game was directed by Gavin Hood who also directed X-men origins. It runs for 114 minutes and is rated a 12.

Links: Amazon!

New Video! This video is a book review for a poetry anthology I also reviewed here, called Open and Read!


Olivia’s Question: If you had to wipe out an entire species to be safe, could you do it?

Olivia-Savannah x

33 comments:

  1. I have not read the book and I haven't watched the movie either though I thought the trailer looked rather nice. I guess, it's really hard for a movie to top the book especially if you loved it so much. And, your question is very tricky. I don't think I could wipe out an entire species. I mean, how would you sleep at night? I dunno... but it doesn't seem right even if it's to save yourself or family/friends and the like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about it then being hard to top after being such an exceptional book. I'm probably being a little harsh subconsciously as well! I agree with you because I doubt I would be able to handle that guilt...

      Delete
  2. I haven't even read the book, and I still think the movie was a bust. I only watched it because of Harrison Ford. Love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well then maybe I am not being harsh due to me loving the book! I just wasn't feeling it...

      Delete
  3. Hmmm. Both pros and cons. I think that's the best we can expect most of the time when they make a movie from a fantastic book. :) Glad you enjoyed most of it though.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a meh kind of movie where it was neither very good or utterly rubbish. I liked some parts though ^^

      Delete
  4. [ Smiles ] I have seen the movie and I was surprised to see that they enlisted children and teenagers to do an adult's job.

    But, it was most entertaining!

    I have never read the book though; it would have been nice to see if the director of the movie went along with the author's vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty twisted world where children seem to be valued more.

      Delete
  5. I have yet to read the book or watch the film. OOOPS! I do own the book though and definitely plan on reading it at some point, I am in less of a hurry to get to the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is glorious. One of my favourites of all time! Read that soon :D

      Delete
  6. Ender's Game is one of my favorite books of all time and I'm terrified to watch the movie. I agree with you on Peter and Valentine. I think their story in the book is just as important as Ender's. I guess I'll have to get around to watching it some day...

    And as for your question: I have absolutely no clue if I could wipe out an entire species. Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you have a favourite book it is so hard to go and watch adaptions sometimes because you want them to be perfect! I just wish they had included some of the politics in relation to those siblings as well...

      Delete
  7. Great review!!! I really enjoyed Ender's Game, so I'm eager to read the book but it's slowly falling further and further behind on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you could like the movie. And Noooo you need to read this book DD:

      Delete
    2. LOL! Dw I'm getting to it! It just might take... a couple years O_O

      Delete
  8. I watched the movie but haven't read the books. It's on my to read pile. I really enjoyed the movie as I've always had an interest in space and to combine it with kids and school just did it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an interesting concept! Hope you love the book when you get to it ^.^

      Delete
  9. I haven't read the book but I really liked the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could! You should try the book :3

      Delete
  10. I love love love the book, but never heard good things about the movies. I have yet to watch it, but I enjoyed your review. Not sure I am ready to be disappointed though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this book too. Maybe you will be able to enjoy it more than I did? I just found that it couldn't compare...

      Delete
  11. Lovely job as always, Olivia. I don't think I'll be watching the movie, but my husband might. He likes sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he likes sci-fi then this could be good for him!

      Delete
  12. I haven't read the book, but I did enjoy the movie. I'm hoping they will do the next one, but I haven't heard anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to see the sequel as a movie, but at that point Ender is a completely different age! I wonder how they would handle that...

      Delete
  13. Haven't read the book but I have seen the movie. I also didn't like the voice overs. And the ending, 'big plot twist,' was such a let down. Interesting because it changed the whole perspective about how the war started. But still a let down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were just some points that I thought brought the movie down a little...

      Delete
  14. I haven't read this, but hubby has and so had a close friend *his absolute fave* we do have the movie but hubby is reluctant to watch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an absolutely favourite of mine too! I can understand his reluctance...

      Delete
  15. I completely agree with everything you've said. This was such an amazing adaption, and I think they did an amazing job translating the book to screen. The special effects and the setting were just as I pictured them while reading the book. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was something they did incredibly well! The setting and graphics couldn't have been more on point than this!

      Delete
  16. I have tried to watch this film (no interest in reading the book) on many occasions, but to no avail. Me and Sci-Fi just don't click, yanno?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I understand! If it isn't your genre, then it really just isn't. But you did try, so you get credit for that ^.^

      Delete