Tuesday, 5 January 2016

Crafty and Cooking Messes: Top 10 Crafty Items!

Hello there!

Crafty and Cooking Messes is a meme on Olivia's Catastrophe all about anything related to cooking and crafting.

Today I wanted to share with you the top ten items I think are best to keep instead of chucking our or donating just in case they come in handing for crafting items!

1. Old clothes. 

Now when I say old clothes, I actually mean the old rough clothes that no one is going to want to wear. I know a lot of people donate their old clothing which I actually think is the better thing to do. But sometimes it has rips and tears in them and no one can wear them anymore. In that case, keep them! Material comes back in a lot of crafts.


2. Bottle Caps
I always keep a bunch of bottle caps! Not all of them, but a lot of them to always have a supply. They come in handy!

3. Anything with fur or pretty feathers
They are the best decoration items hands down. If it is a pretty feather, don't chuck it!



4. Seashells
Whenever we end up going to the beach I am always mindful to collect some beautiful seashells and keep them for some crafty decorations. Like feathers, they can add nice finishing touches.

5. Glitter
Sometimes nail polish or other things come with little packs of glitter. Glitter is always the best way to add sparkle to a nice craft or a bookmark or whatever you are making! So keep that glitter and use it for decoration. 


6. Old Nailpolish 
You know me - I love my nailpolish. Sometimes it gets a bit old and sticky and no longer can be used! That's alright. Try adding water to it, and if that isn't working, then it can always be used to paint some crafts. Once I had to pain a football goal for my Secret Santa and we had no more white paint. Instead of buying some I added water to old nailpolish and used that instead. He was none the wiser!

7. Newspapers
Lots of people chuck out their newspapers, but newspapers are my lifesavers. When anything needs crafty work I just coat the floor with it and then my room stays fairly tidy and doesn't get paint stains everywhere. Also, if paper mache is needed for the craft then newspapers are perfect.

8. Plastic containers
The kind that I am talking about are the kind which some Chinese restaurants give out to customers? I use them to organise my crafty stuff! So useful. 

9. Old Keys and locks
They can just be used for some really cool steampunkish stuff or decoration once again!



10. Necklace chains and charms
For the same purpose as the earlier one!


Olivia's Question: Do you like crafting?

Olivia-Savannah x

44 comments:

  1. Ooh that wreath looks so pretty! HOW ARE PEOPLE SO TALENTED?? I'm loving the idea of using old keys - they totally DO look steampunky xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? All the crafters do such amazing things <3

      Delete
  2. You can use old jewellery and buttons to make cute little charm bottle ornaments :) (Bostik (or whatever other brand you want) can do anything!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that actually sounds really cool. I might have to check that one out now :D

      Delete
    2. It's also a good way to recycle old perfume bottles and little jam jars :)

      Delete
    3. Looked into it and it certainly seems like my kind of thing :D

      Delete
  3. I love keeping bottle caps around too. My cats steal them before I can actually use them, but I am planning on making magnets out of all of my beer caps.

    I paint things with nail polish all the time, too. It really comes in handy for keys, instead of buying those key caps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magnets sound like an epic idea! And yes, nail polish is great for things like that :3

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing these tips Olivia! I'm not very good at DIY but I still enjoy doing little DIY projects every now and then XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do too many of them, but I do love seeing what other people get up to nonetheless.

      Delete
  5. I used to be crafty, but I don't think I really loved it that much. I do love it when others are great at it. Such creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice appreciating the creativity of others too ^.^

      Delete
  6. I would have never thought of some of these things. How many times have I thrown away keys that were old and didn't seem to go to anything I owned? :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love recycling like this to create something new! Hope this post was enlightening for you :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome tips!! I'm really digging that necklace. As for Nail Polish, go to Douglas and buy thinner. It will save all your nail polishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip Lothwen! I think I will pop in and search for it next time I am in town :)

      Delete
  8. Great ideas! I was in the doctors' office today and heard Rachael Ray talking about crafts you could make out of empty wine bottles. I thought, "Maybe I should be saving those," but I'm not very crafty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a few of them but not enough for me to know which she may be referring to. That's more for me to look into!

      Delete
  9. I think crafting is amazing and some of the ideas you share look and sound amazing. However, when it comes to these things I'm hopeless. Seriously, I have no patience whatsoever and I just quit rather easily LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha well maybe you can just reap the benefits of crafty projects instead :D

      Delete
  10. These are great ideas! I do not do a lot of crafting, but I often think I will craft. I don't have a lot of time, but I think I will keep a project in mind for when I do have more time. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's good about these is that they are all recycling as well, so hopefully that appeals to you too x

      Delete
  11. Nice, Olivia! I'm not so much into crafts as I am into DIY. I'll find DIY projects on Pinterest made from objects in the house. Recycling is a great way to bring something to life. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually count DIY under crafting too, for some reason xD But yes, recycling is brilliant!

      Delete
  12. All of these are cute, esp the key

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is so pretty, those key chimes are GENIUS. I like the IDEA of crafting, but I'm pretty crappy at it once I start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can take some time to get used to it (or as in my case, ever get talented at it xD)

      Delete
  14. [ Smiles ] Hmm. I never thought about using old keys as decoration.

    I love the way in which your mind works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renard! Hopefully some other eyes were opened with this post too :)

      Delete
  15. Also, old key on a chain for a cool necklace. :D Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Joy! That does sound pretty col ;)

      Delete
  16. I love craft! I usually make things and give them away to friends XD Sea shells and all things shiny, I have boxes full of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool and creative! I wish I was like that too :3

      Delete
  17. I like crafting mainly because I love re-purposing items. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's basically the reason why I love it too!

      Delete
  18. These all look really cool. I love craft, but I'm not the greatest at it! Some people are just so talented at craft... though I don't think I'm one of those people! I do love adding glitter to stuff though. I have loads of old nail polishes, so I will definitely try and add water to them to reuse them.

    Thanks for sharing all this stuff, Olivia!
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that little hack will work for you! Also, editing things with a bit of glitter and decoration can be good fun too :3

      Delete
  19. Oooh great post! I love glitter but my kids are hellish with it, they would have it sprinkled everywhere if they had their own way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha glitter can be used treacherously, I will admit!

      Delete
  20. I love this! Fantastic post. I have GOT to try something of these out one of these days.

    ...who am I kidding. I'm a uni student and my deadlines are coming up. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww :( Schoolwork always takes priority (and mostly a lot of time too)

      Delete
  21. Most of these I also save for crafty purposes, but just out of curiosity, what do you use bottle caps for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly just for decoration when it comes to making some things more 3D or anything that might need bumps in it for one reason or another!

      Delete