Thursday, 5 November 2015

Dangerous Lies (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Dangerous Lies
Author:  Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Published Date: 10th November 2015
Rating: 4 stars
 
*Thank you to the publisher for the review copy* 

Synopsis: A teen is forced to make a fresh start after witnessing a violent crime—but love and danger find her anyway in this novel from Becca Fitzpatrick, theNew York Times bestselling author of the Hush, Hush saga.

Stella Gordon is not her real name. Thunder Basin, Nebraska, is not her real home. This is not her real life.

After witnessing a lethal crime, Stella Gordon is sent to the middle of nowhere for her own safety before she testifies against the man she saw kill her mother’s drug dealer.

But Stella was about to start her senior year with the boyfriend she loves. How can she be pulled away from the only life she knows and expected to start a new one in Nebraska? Stella chafes at her protection and is rude to everyone she meets. She’s not planning on staying long, so why be friendly? Then she meets Chet Falconer and it becomes harder to keep her guard up, even as her guilt about having to lie to him grows.

As Stella starts to feel safer, the real threat to her life increases—because her enemies are actually closer than she thinks…

Review: Wow, this book was a bit of everything. A bit of great, good and not so good. I would really love to give this one five stars, but I simply can’t because of the beginning.

This was my first book by Becca Fitzpatrick. I’d heard a lot of good things about her Hush, Hush series and a lot of bad things about her book called Black Ice. But I wanted to read this one because of such a cool premise! It’s not every day you read a book which features the Witness Protection Program.

We first get to meet Stella (Estella) as she is being forced to leave her old life, everything she knows, and gets hidden in Thunder Basin which is basically a country kind of place. I really REALLY didn’t like Stella at the beginning, and that is the not so good part of this book. She was mean, rude, and incredibly selfish. She didn’t even want to try and get along with the people in this new place or even the guardian who was taking care of her, when she was the one who volunteered for the program anyway and it was keeping her safe. I wanted to give her a good slap sometimes. All I can say is not to give up on the book and keep going! Once you get past all that, it becomes a really good book.

There was a bit of cliché in this book as well. We get introduced to Chet who Carmina (her guardian) deems as the bad boy who she should stay away from who is incredibly good looking as well. I rolled my eyes at this, but again, this cliché changes. Once we get to meet Chet we can actually see he is a guy who has made mistakes in the past but is trying to change who he is. He goes to church, he’s good and is continually making sacrifices to keep his little brother out of trouble. He’s sensitive and really caring. Honestly, he was my favourite character.

This book did become a bit romance based in the middle, but man did I love it. It gets a bit heated at times, but when it comes to Chet, it was lovely. I mean, he was so devoted to Stella and stood by her side even if it was likely she was in the wrong. He was protective and basically, one of the best book boyfriends out there!

The character development starts hitting us halfway through the book and we find that Stella is judgment sometimes and mean, but she is throwing up walls to protect herself. Her mother has been a drug addict who continually chose drugs over her daughter, and Stella had to learn to fend for herself from a young age. As being in Thunder Basin starts to lower those barriers we can come to like her, and she becomes a much nicer character to read from!


I really liked the country and cowboy-ish feel to this one. It seemed to show a bit of culture in that little place of America, and it was so well done. We went to places like Bible studies, fairs, rodeos and so on. It wasn’t a strong feature of the book but I could really appreciate it being there.

Even though the premise of this is about a mystery case and the program, that doesn’t run so strongly through the book until the ending. AND THAT ENDING. It was intense. Majorly intense. First of all, there were some tough decisions that needed to be made and I could feel the tension rising. But then the action and plot twists came all at once. All through the book I was labelling this as predictable, but I was only predicting one of the minor plot twists. There were two huge ones that I never saw coming and whoa, the emotions were running high. It was so intense that if you read this one you must get to the end. I don’t say must often, but I do here!

I am definitely going to be reading another Becca Fitzpatrick book after this.

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: Do you think you could leave your old life behind and start again under a disguise if it meant bring a dangerous criminal to justice?

Olivia-Savannah x

26 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I love how you break it down and go through the different parts of the book. That country part of it sounds nice. Something I'd enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The country part was one of the best bits in my opinion. I don't know too much about country though. Glad you liked the review <3

      Delete
  2. This is a great review. I am not the biggest fan of a main character that is mean and hard to relate too, but I like it when they are done well or if they change throughout the book.

    I am not sure I could leave my old life. I don't want to!! But I could go under a disguise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It can be a turn off in the beginning, but I saw how she developed and changed. I wouldn't want to leave either DD:

      Delete
  3. Such a great review! I've been wanting to read this book but hadn't heard anything about what other people thought of it. The Hush, Hush saga is really good, though a guilty pleasure of mine ;)
    And I think it'd be very hard to leave my old life behind at first but I think I could do so if it meant bringing a criminal to justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might hear a whole lot more cropping up soon. I haven't read the Hush, Hush series but it is on my TBR after really enjoying this one as well! It's so honorable of you to be able to do that as well :3

      Delete
  4. I probably would not have given it 5 stars either. When I read, it's very important to me to actually 'like' the protagonist. If they are not likable or if their character is not developed enough, I find I have a difficult time liking the book. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much in the same boat. And because of me disliking her so strongly, it couldn't be the perfect rating >.>

      Delete
  5. I'm not a huge Fitzpatrick fan, but I've read Hush Hush and Black Ice; which were both okay reads for me. I do want to finish her HH series, or at least read the 2nd book, one day. To answer your question, yes I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you find them to be alright. Maybe, this one will be a similar for you? I'm not sure because I haven't read any of her previous books to compare it to.

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm... I don't know whether I would be able to do that... Leaving everybody behind would be really heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be such a difficult thing to do. Anyone who does it - I can seriously admire them for doing so.

      Delete
  7. I've heard TERRIBLE things about Black Ice, so when I started seeing Dangerous Lies floating around, I ignored it. Then reviews started rolling in, and they were great, people were actually liking it, so now my ears are perked up again, and I am ready to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - everything I heard about Black Ice was horrible so I am likely not gonna be ever picking that one up and am going on to read the Hush, Hush series instead. I have always wanted to try a book of hers which is why I looked to this one. I am glad you are giving it a shot :)

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a great one, I added it to my TBR. Great review! I would definitely go into Witness Protection to help bring a criminal to justice..I've always thought being in Witness Protection is kind of interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to know you are planning to read it, and I hope you enjoy it just as much or even more than I did! It's such an intriguing system. It's great to know you would do that :D

      Delete
  9. I didn't like the author's Hush Hush series and therefore haven't read Black Ice, but I have a proof of this so I will read it when I work up the nerve ahah and have enough time between school and writing etc. I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part though, great review :D

    Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/ya-shot-wrap-up-haul.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a shame :( I wouldn't recommend reading Black Ice at all, even if I haven't read it myself >.> But it's good of you to give this author another choice and I hope you do enjoy this one some more.

      Delete
  10. Character connection is so important (for me). "She was mean, rude, and incredibly selfish." <-- I don't know if I could like a book if I didn't like the protagonist. But, Chet sounds pretty amazing. Plus, I love a good plot twist, or in this case twists. What would be your next Becca Fitzpatrick read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chet really was! I would have to say Hush, Hush, book 1 in a trilogy...

      Delete
  11. I read Black Ice and that put me off reading anymore of her books because it was awful, well it wasn't awful, the plot was just unbelievable but this could redeem her, will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that about Black Ice so I can definitely understand why it is hard to trust her writing again! I thought this was a better one.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic review Olivia and the topic sounds great enough but I don't think I could read a Becca Fitzpatrick book at my age. I've heard such mixed things about her books and I believe her books are just not for me. That being said, I don't think I would get used to easily when it came to start a new life if it involves leaving everything behind. I don't even want to imagine it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean, and I think I would agree that these might not be for you.

      Delete
  13. 1. Nice converses! I have the same pair in low cut. Converses are my favourite.
    2. Hmm. Well very neat review, but I'd say this book likely wouldn't be for me. The romance and themes aren't really my cup of tea and I really have a feeling it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy, although hey- we can all surprise ourselves. Those surprises sound killer! I'm glad you were taken off guard and shocked by what happened.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all about vans really, but I do have these ones as well ^.^ I completely wasn't expecting the ending to turn out the way it did which made me very happy :3 Sorry to hear that this one is probably not for you.

      Delete