Thursday, 8 October 2015

The Silver Linings Playbook (Review)

Hi there!

When I said I had been reading  a lot, I really did mean it! Don't worry - Saturday's post is still about books, but it is a break from all the reviews you have been reading lately. Bear with me :D

Title: TheSilver Linings Playbook
Author:  Matthew Quick
Publisher:  Picador (Pan Macmillian)
Published Date:  2008
Rating: 5 Stars

Synopsis: An enchanting first novel about love, madness and Kenny G. The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal. During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining. In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way.

Review: I honestly don’t know where to start with this book. I loved it from the first page, even when we didn’t really know the characters yet and what was going on. I think this is probably because of the style of writing. Matthew Quick manages to take you right into the world of someone who has a mental illness, and he manages to do it through the writing alone. Don’t even ask me how.

Then we have the characters who we love. There’s Pat’s mother who is trying to hold her family together and is struggling terribly. Not only is she dealing with her mentally unstable son, but her husband’s mood swings are huge and are all pegged on whether his team wins the next football match or not. We have Tiffany, someone who seems to be a little on the crazy side but might not be as well, and has been struggling through a great depression and is trying to pull her way out of it. There’s Nikki, who has is glorified in Pat’s eyes and we constantly hear about in the novel. And lastly Pat, someone who believes life is a movie with silver linings, and if he works hard enough, he will find his own. Someone who has undeniable hope in everyone and everything, and yet can’t stand a single tune of Kenny G music. I loved his character the most.
Pat and his belief in silver linings was just
like this quote!

The novel was also written in a clever way. There was something hidden from us in every chapter, and we never got to know what it is until the very end. I won’t tell you what it is, because duh, it would be spoilers. But when I read it I will tell you my emotions were in overdrive and I was even reading as I walked down the stairs and hallway to my locker after school, simply because I needed to know what was going to happen next. It was riveting, and I loved it.


Football does seem to take up a lot of the novel, and I thought I was going to hate it because I’m not really into all that stuff. But in the end it turned out to be pretty okay, and I didn’t really mind it. There is some mention of literature at the beginning, which I loved, and also mention of dancing towards the end, which I also loved because well, I love watching dances.

I don’t really know what else to say about the book except that it is definitely something you should be reading! The movie looks like it would be good, and I love Jennifer Lawrence’s acting, so I am looking forward to it.

Oh and about the book – did I mention I loved it?

Olivia’s Question: Do you support a certain team in a sport?


Olivia-Savannah x

42 comments:

  1. I really loved the movie of this book, but I still haven't got around to reading it! It sounds like it's really great though, so I'm going to need to get around to picking it up sometime soon!

    Shaunna @ Books Over Bros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the movie since this post has gone up and I really loved it! They are different but it was worth it. I hope you can love the book too ;)

      Delete
  2. I watched the movie when it came out not knowing it was a book adaptation (shame on me!) and after it, I decided to give the book a go but it didn't work which is unfortunate since I do love books around psychological issues like mental illness in this case. It's good to know you loved it and maybe my timing with this book wasn't right? I dunno but I never finished it and it's somewhere on my house but I never felt compelled to pick it up again :/
    I'm not much into sports myself but from time to time I like to cheer on Real Madrid. All my family is nuts about it really hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about that! I have watched many adaptions without knowing the same. I'm sorry this one didn't work out well for this one. I know it isn't for everyone because some people really don't like the style, but it was good for me.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read nor seen the film. And I've always wanted to try any book by this author. I think you've just given me the push, Olivia. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you should at least try one Matthew Quick, if not this one.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read the book but I really enjoyed the movie adaptation. Sounds like I'll need to give this one a read soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try the book as well if you liked the movie :3

      Delete
  5. I should really read this!
    And yes, I support all Dutch national teams ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo go teams! You should either watch or read it - both options are equally wonderful.

      Delete
  6. Great review. I also really liked this book. I haven’t seen the movie yet, though.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like the movie. I remember reading your review for this one a while back.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post! I'm looking forward to Saturday's as well :D this isn't the kind of book I usually pick up, but I did watch the movie a few months back and really enjoyed it so maybe I will at some point

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/www-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gonna be up pretty soon! It may not be your type but I think it is worth a shot? The movie was wonderful.

      Delete
  8. One of my favorite movies that I have watched a million times. I've not read the book yet, but there's talk of Tiffany's character in the movie is kind of different from the book. Still, I can't wait to read it. Great review!

    Yes, my favorite team is the UA (University of Alabama) Crimson Tide football team. I've been a fan since before I could walk because all the members in my family are die hards. Great football team to cheer for and hopefully we can win our 16th national title this season. *fingers crossed* It's all about college football down here in the South. Though, some actually like the NFL too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you can love the movie so much! I watched it and need to rewatch it soon enough as well. Jennifer Lawrence is quickly proving that she can do well in any character. Oh, and the book and movie characters are quite different, excepting Pat and his mother!

      It can be so great to get caught up in the family atmosphere for sports. My family all support different teams so you can imagine how tense it gets when it comes to game time.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a lot of very interesting characters. I'm glad you loved it so much. You've had several books you've loved recently. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were each so individual. I have been reading a lot of good books and that makes me incredibly happy :D

      Delete
  10. I'm really glad you liked this! I, on the other hand, didn't read the book but watched the movie. And I loved it!! <3 I also really like Jennifer Lawrence's acting, she's amazing :3

    I'm not really into watching sports that much, but during the FIFA world cup I always support Germany and Spain haha :)

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Lawrence is one of the best actresses I know, so I definitely agree with you there.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you liked it! I enjoyed the book as well though I read it after watching the movie. The book was great but the movie is amazing and I liked it more (it has really great acting and dialogues).
    I know what you mean by his writing style. It wasn't like every other book, it kept the character real and in flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to know you were able to enjoy it. I see the book and movie differently, but I think I love them both equally :D

      Delete
  12. Sounds like an amazing book indeed. Oh, my list is growing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The movie was definitely good, but I don't know if I'd want to read it or not. Glad that you enjoyed it, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you will be able to make up your mind soon!

      Delete
  14. I saw the movie first, and thought both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were amazing. After reading the book, I actually liked the movie MORE, but because of it's adaptation. They really fleshed out the "J-Law" character more in the movie, and I thought Bradley Cooper (B-Coop?) did an amazing job. The book and movie are definitely different, but I think it works!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they did a great job playing their roles and they really did make that movie spectacular. The book and movie have different things about them but I like how everything played out.

      Delete
  15. I watched the movie for all the right reasons: It was an Oscar movie. It's based on a book. And I like Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Some things I didn't understand coz of the usual movie-book-gap. Will read it as soon as I get my hands on the book.
    Nice review, btw!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some things which were different and might have been easier to understand having read the book, but they were both so well done! I am glad you enjoyed the movie :)

      Delete
  16. I didn't know the film was based on a book until after I watched it- I'd never heard of this! But I did watch the film and... really disliked it. I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence's acting, too, and the trailers made it look interesting and comical and I thought it would probably be ace, especially with all the awards it garnered, but it wasn't such a sucess. I got through it, but only because I was sure something *more* was coming, this elusive reason that would make me love it. Only it didn't come. So that wasn't great.
    I hope, since you've read the novel now, you enjoy the film a lot more than me! It'd be interesting to see how closely the two align. Maybe you could review it? (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people seem to have not noticed that until after they saw it. Oh wow, I am sorry that you couldn't like this one! It seems to be the lesser opinion. It's a shame you were holding out for something that never seem to have come. I do review movies every now and again, and I will definitely review this movie and let you know how close it gets to the book!

      Delete
  17. Oooh, I've heard and watched a bit of the movie but I didn't know it was based on a book! Are there huge differences between the two? Wasn't really a fan of the movie TBQH so maybe I'll check the book out. Books tend to be better usually.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't huge differences, but the way the dad is portrayed and Tiffany is very different. Oh, and the ending is quite different as well!

      Delete
  18. I've seen the movie a few times and loved it every time, so it's great to know that the book is just as good! The writing style and pacing sound so awesome. For your question, I usually do tend to pick a team to root for, but most of the time it's random haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you could like the movie! For me, the book was wonderful.

      Delete
  19. I quite liked this movie but somehow have been living under a rock and didn't realise this was a book! Great review, looks like it's worth the read despite me knowing the story already.

    Aentee at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, well now you know! And the story is a little bit different so I get the idea that this as a book will still be fun for you.

      Delete
  20. The movie was really good so I bet the book is too. Happy you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not into any specific team sports- so it is good to know that the football talk was okay and the story was awesome. I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but haven't read the book yet. Sounds like one I should look for. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked the movie! But yes, the sports wasn't overwhelming at all and I actually enjoyed it.

      Delete