Saturday, 19 September 2015

Olivia's Catastrophe ~ Oh my Sequels!

Hello there everyone!

Olivia's Catastrophe is my personal meme for discussions. Today I have a discussion post about sequels. And this time it is not going to be about sequels of books, but sequels of movies instead! I bet you never saw that one coming ;)



I usually like the first movie of a certain series. I loved Kung Fu Panda, loved Madagascar, and loved Night at the Museum.

Excepting Kung Fu Panda, the sequels to the other movies were pretty bad. Especially Night at the Museum!

The first movie was original and funny.  I am not really a Ben Stiller fan. When it comes to his acting skills I dislike them for some reason, so I usually steer clear of his movies. But in this movie he did a great job, and even though this sort of had a Toy Story theme going on, I loved the concept of these creatures coming to life. The monkey that continuously slapped him had me laughing, and there was also a serious plot that made me interested in how the movie was going to end out! I loved Robin Williams role in this movie as well. The characters were well done and in the end of this movie I knew I was going to watch it again. And again.

So what was so wrong with the second movie?

It was recycled. I felt like there were scenes and certain things that they tried to put into this movie again to make it link up and seem just as good as before. There were scenes with the monkey and slapping involved, but it was boring this time around. I felt like they had just reused the same relationship and moment for the sake of being funny, and then suddenly it wasn’t anymore.

I felt like the woman in the second movie was supposed to fulfill the role Robin Williams had done before as well, which made it seem like another recycled plot line. I can’t remember everything that happened in the second movie simply because it wasn’t a memorable story. I felt like they were trying too hard with jokes and it turned out to fall flat for me.

What do they go and do instead? They go and make a Night at the Museum 3. I am not looking forward to watching that one at all (but knowing me, I probably will end up watching it).

There are some movies which seem to make a sequel just because they want to earn some more money, and that is why they are so similar to the first one. So that they can be equally as successful. When companies do that it bothers me a lot.

There are some amazing sequels, like Kung Fu Panda 2. They had a new villain, a completely unique plot line. There were the same relationships and characters but they were tested again, and there was something new Po had to discover about himself instead of the same storyline as before. Everything was different, but some themes were carried through to keep the connection between the two movies alive. That is what makes a good sequel.

Knowing me there will be another post about book sequels and trilogies soon, so make sure you look out for that one ;)

New Video! Book review of Order of the Dimensions by Irene Helenowski!


Olivia’s Question: What is the worst movie sequel you have ever seen?

Olivia-Savannah x

32 comments:

  1. I guess the pressure is on to create something that will be as commercial as the original movie, so the sequel(s) become more about the money and less about the story. And that's where they screw up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would definitely agree with you there. I don't think many realise that by making it original and different it is more risky, but if the risk pays off then it is useful!

      Delete
  2. I tend to still like the Night and the Museum movies -- don't really know why as I do agree they are getting a bit old. Good review of it. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the first one but just couldn't get into the second one as much. But I am glad you could like them!

      Delete
  3. I usually don't trust sequels because I feel they won't live up to the expectations and most of the time, that's the most likely outcome. It's sad really because in a way, it also takes the enjoyment you felt with the story and characters. But we all know the movie industry.... money is everything they think about and there is nothing we can do about it. Well, we could stop watching the sequels but they probably wouldn't care hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about being worried about the outcome of the second book. And the sad reality is that most times they usually are disappointing :( I just wish that money had less value over the entertainment!

      Delete
  4. [ Smiles ] In my case, I am a Star Wars fan and I do not mind watching those sequels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course, there are such thing as good sequels as well! And those are definitely good sequels :D

      Delete
  5. Horrible Bosses 2, The Hangover 2&3, are some good examples of bad sequels. They weren't as funny as the first movie to me. It's like they tried too hard. There are plenty more, but those are the ones that popped right up when I thought about the topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't seen either of those movies, but I will have to try them just to know. My curiosity has been ignited.

      Delete
  6. I never noticed this before girl but....danngggg you are absolutely RIGHT! Which is probably one of the main reasons I never even finished Night at the museum 2 and to hear they're making another one? Eh...I may pass on this one. You're SO RIGHT about the recycled scenes and that they tried waayyyy roo hard to make it funny but it only made it fall flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really remember too much about the movie exception thinking it was basically a repeat of everything before XD I kind of didn't bother to remember it xD It's a shame it wasn't as great as it potentially could have been?

      Delete
  7. Great discussion, Olivia-Savannah! I think we have very different movie tastes though. :) I thought the Night of the Museum trilogy only got better with each movie and the second one with Amelia Earhart was my favourite! Kung Fu Panda 2 on the other hand... *shudders* I wasn't a fan of it. Oh well, I agree in the long shot. Animated movies make better standalones than series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow it seems like we have very different tastes in movies! Nonetheless, it seems we mostly agree, ahaha.

      Delete
  8. Sequels usually aren't as good as the first one. Cars 2 is the perfect example. WHY DID THEY MAKE ONE?! Totally ruined that cool movie franchise for me :(

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't ever gone and seen Cars 2, but maybe it is best I hold off on doing that...

      Delete
  9. You're absolutly right sequels tend to be terrible except for Kung Fu Panda. I think there's so much to live up to that in the end producers don't know what to do with their movies. There's a lot of pressure. They try everything and anything while trying to please viewers but it turns out to be a disaster.

    Also, sometimes, they just don't know when to stop. They try to milk the cow as much as possible because they can without wondering about whether the material they're producing is any good.

    I know that either next year or maybe later, they'll be a third Kung Fu Panda. I hope it won't be a mess. It's one of my favorite animated movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about milking it. That's why we have some movies with like 8 or 6 sequels and they really don't need that many because they have stopped being unique. I have heard that about Kung Fu Panda and I have loved the two latest movies so much, I am so nervous!

      Delete
  10. I have liked a few sequels but 1st is usu the best by a long shot, except for ones based on movies like Harry Potter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so think there are some exceptions to this, yes. Especially movies that are book to film adaptions.

      Delete
  11. Hmm... I don't watch that many original film series', I guess, because the movies that are part of a series are all from books I've read and loved- I don't watch the film if I stopped liking the series!- which I suppose makes it pretty easy for me. The discussion on book series' is one I'll await eagerly, though, because that's a completely different discussion and one I can interact with much more throughly!
    In general, though, sometimes series' in film can work out so well, but, like you said, sometimes not. Most of the time the first remains my favourite, though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting that you don't watch the film if you stopped liking it! But that makes complete sense. I'll let you know when the bookish one is up ^^

      Delete
  12. My favourite sequel is Aliens and I believe it's better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to watch those movies because I never have yet!

      Delete
  13. I totally agree with you on this!! The worst of all is when the sequel really ruins the first part. Have you seen Pocahontas II? Because that thing just ruined my childhood, it did T.T

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen that movie! Gosh, I didn't like that one at all :(

      Delete
  14. Sequels can either be hit or miss. Sometimes because the original was such a success, there's an unnecessary need to make sequel. For example I love the Thor original movie but did not like the sequel. I actually liked Iron Man 1 and 2, but did not like Iron Man 3. The Avengers 1 and 2 were actually good and but have to admit there were a little too many story lines going on in the sequel. Loved the original Men in Black but I could've done without the next two movies following it. See, hit or miss. And usually the problem with sequels is that it's not so much as being treated as a new movie. Like you said, story lines are being recycled. I don't mind having previous story lines/themes from the original carrying over to the new sequel as long as it has a new plot and overarching stakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you when it comes to Thor. Although I did like how much Loki was present in the first movie, it wasn't nearly as good as the first one. I have never seen more than the first Iron Man so I have a while to get to there. I did like Avengers 1 and 2 like you mentioned, but there /were/ a lot of subplots which made things a bit confusing.

      Generally, it's a hit or miss and it is a shame that sometimes I feel like I am getting more misses than hits...

      Delete
  15. The worst sequel I saw was The Hangover 2, loved the first film but this one was just crap spoilt the first film for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one has come up in this post already so I am guessing it is really rubbish >.>

      Delete
  16. I think the worst sequel I have ever seen has to be the 3rd winx movie, journey to the abyss. The first two were legend and then they changed characters that we had stuck with for seasons and seasons because they weren't 'cute' enough so they completely erased them and replaced them and made some more annoying. I literally was snoring because the plot line was so boring and had to turn it off half way through. What a horrible way to continue such a wonderful movie sequel which I grew up with.
    This is the first blog I have seen with a video in it. It is a lot less lengthy and easier to stay with when you say it in a video. To be honest I can't really remember night in the museum that well because the first and last time I saw it was when I was seven in Jamaica still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, when they do a sudden change like that it can be so frustrating! I am sorry to hear it was such a bad change for you... and that you disliked them after that.

      I forget sometimes that you were still so young when we went to Jamaica... must have been hard to remember!

      Delete