Thursday, 13 August 2015

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)
Author: J. K. Rowling
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Published Date: July 2, 1998
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: Harry is tired of the summer holidays, and tired of the Dursleys. Just before the long anticipated term at Hogwarts, Harry receives a strange visitor, who tells him he must not go back to Hogwarts, because there will be great trouble for him if he does. Harry, dismayed, shocked, and surprised returns to a year of Hogwarts, and to a disaster at school. Everyone at Hogwarts is in danger of death, and the task falls to Harry to rescue the entire school, while the school believes he is the cause of the danger.

Review: After reading this book, I am not sure if I want to keep on reading Harry Potter. And now I am going to explain!

I love the characters. I think this is something J. K. Rowling does exceptionally well. Hermoine is definitely my favourite because she’s someone not everyone will like because she is such a know it all, but then again she can be a good friend as well. Then we have Ron, who is scared of nearly everything, but will really stand up for his friends when need be. And we have Harry, of course, the main character who things just seem to happen to.

This book is definitely connected to the first. Things we learned in the first book are explained, some things didn’t even need explaining. Once again, I have to say, J. K. Rowling has managed to display her creativity and write a wonderful book.

But what didn’t I like? I have noticed after reading these first two books that the books are incredibly slow paced. It took me forever to read this one, and this isn’t even a very thick book (in comparison to the future ones). It’s the fact that the mystery is building all through the story, but slowly, without any real excitement in it. All the excitement and suspense is saved until the very end and flies by in a couple of pages. If it was spread out throughout the book I am sure this read would be more enjoyable.

Another thing is the fact that Ron breaks his wand in this book. All through the story we get Harry saying it’s a shame Ron’s wand is broken, and yet Harry has an awful lot of money in the bank! He never offered any, and for me that was very frustrating. Yes, the Weasley’s may not have accepted the money because who would take from a child? But then again, at least offer it! That frustration combined with the pacing had to lower my rating.

As always this book is set in Hogwarts which becomes more and more like a school I would love to attend myself.

I rate this book 3 stars because it was good, but the slow pace brought it down for me. I am sure all ages can enjoy this book, and many already have.

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: Who would you like to cast a memory loss spell on?


Olivia-Savannah x

34 comments:

  1. Well, having read all the seven book, I have to admit book 2 is indeed the weakest of them all. I think Harry Potter is one of the very few series that gets better on its sequels. Oh, though I love this series, and I also wonder why Rowling had to put the most interesting part of the book the last few chapters *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So maybe it is just this book that is bringing it down for me? It's so hard to tell... especially when I am trying to figure out if I want to continue with such a popular series or not...

      Delete
  2. I can see what you mean about it being a little slow paced but it does get better! I hadn't thought about Harry buying Ron a wand, awesome theory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it will! Maybe I will try book three after all. I have seen a lot of mixed thoughts on that theory as well.

      Delete
  3. I have not read any of the series. Maybe their wild popularity, or the movies, or whatever, I don't know. But they've never really called out to me. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hype put me off for a long time (well, till I was sixteen as I am currently.) But not every book is for everyone!

      Delete
  4. I think the slow pace improve in the latest books. I've only read book 6 and 7 in the series and I remember them being quite fast-paced. It was a couple of years ago that I read them, so I might be wrong. Rowling is definitely a very talented writer. Even if you don't love everything aspect of her books, you're still very entertained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people do promise the later books to be much better reads - it's just a matter of me getting there. But yes, I can appreciate and love (especially as a writer) her creativity and world building!

      Delete
  5. Very good review, Olivia. I didn't get in on the Harry Potter wagon and don't think I will at this point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's understandable. Sometimes it just isn't going to work for you.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you that Harry should have offered to buy Ron a wand. He can be quite self centered at times, but throughout the series he also has to deal with others pointing it out to him, which I really appreciated. I still love this second book (partly because of nostalgia probably), but I agree with Citra, the later books are better. My favorites are the last three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do suppose everyone has their flaws and maybe that one is Harry's. Many people seem to love those last few books :D

      Delete
  7. You are definitely not having a great time with these books, huh? I haven't gone too far with the first book, unfortunately. Let's hope I'll have fare better with them. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an okay time. I am not impressed, but they aren't rubbish either. I hope you can still like book one!

      Delete
  8. I really wanted you to like the books! But I have to allow that the first two are not the most exciting reads when you have outgrown the story. I did think why Harry doesn't slip in gifts for Ron since he has so much money. But Harry is someone who rarely thinks about money, and he also knows Ron enough that offering him something will only embarrass him.Ron is extremely touchy when it comes to his parent's apparent poverty.
    Ok let me stop defending Harry lol But I wish you keep reading, it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to as well. I am hearing a lot of that, so I am hoping it is just the MG feel to it. I know he is, but I feel frustrated that he still didn't try. I am thinking about continuing, but not sure yet :/

      Delete
  9. Aww sorry you didn't care for this one that much girl! BUT I NEED for you to continue on with the series. At least give it a little bit of a try because you won't be disappointed. (Well, that is of course if you haven't already watched the movies then you pretty much know what's going to happen.) teehee And ME TOO I LOVED all the characters (in fact, watching the fourth movie now) :) It's funny how much I can remember the names even after all the years after not reading the books! <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha I am sure the force of Keionda can keep me going. I haven't watched any of the movies but these two! (After I read them). They must be pretty memorable!

      Delete
  10. I am pretty sure Harry didn't offer because he did not want to offend Ron. But, hey, that's just me. I am quite sad you won't go further with the series. J.K. is great when it comes to characters but she is also great at the whole story creating/universe building things. It's hard to observe that in the first two books since they are more children's books than YA, but she is really good at planning, trust me!

    I quite liked the slow paced of the first books because I was so interested in the magical world and Hogwarts! I think you might also feel this way because books these days seem to have one major story and just go towards it while the first Harry Potter books are more about Harry's experience at Hogwarts and less about fighting Voldemort.

    I would love for you to read the third book because it was (and still is in my top 3) my favourite Harry Potter book for such a long time!!

    Andreea Catsfika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people seem to agree with that idea. It's a shame I am not liking them even though I really wanted to. But I do think J.K. is amazing at world building and her creativity is vast. I'm not much for when things are too slow paced for me :/ In most fantasies I don't mind but for this one, it just isn't grasping my attention. I'll see about book three though! I've gotten quite a bit of encouragement to keep going so far.

      Delete
  11. okay I agree with you, I read it when I was quite young, but after reading your review, I completely agree with you. Great review, very well-put Olivia :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are someone who agrees with me! I generally think I might have loved these more if I was younger.

      Delete
  12. I have re-read this series several times and each time I enjoy it a little more. Sorry you won't continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people love them, so I glad that others have a series they can incessantly reread and continue to love!

      Delete
  13. I think the series gets better with each book. I'm not a huge fantasy fan, but I devoured these books. If you choose to stick it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am someone who likes a good fantasy, but more so high fantasy. I am thinking about continuing...

      Delete
  14. Ah, sorry you did not end up lovinh this one. I read and re-read it numerous times as a kid so I have a spot place for this book (and entire series). However, I have no idea how I would feel about it, if I read it for the first time now as an adult. Anyway, series gets better with every instalments so do not give up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people do! And I am glad it is close to your heart <3

      Delete
  15. Sorry you didn't end up loving this. I definitely feel like this series gets better as the series goes along. I'd say book three is better than two, but it really starts picking up in book four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hearing that it gets better at book three or four. I am hoping it will!

      Delete
  16. I 5 starred all of the books in this series. Reading your reviews makes me want to reread them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must definitely love them and I am glad you can!

      Delete
  17. It's been a while since I've re-read the entire HP series but I do remember the second book to be the weakest of them all although I still loved it. I completely understand your feelings and it's okay. Not everybody must love the same books and yes, I also had thought many times why on earth Harry never offered himself to buy Ron a wand LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have been finding it to be the weakest, so maybe I should just pull through...

      Delete