Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Antman (Movie Review)

Good morning :D

Today I am going to be reviewing the 2015 Marvel release of Antman for you! I am sure most of you know I am a huge fan of superhero movies in general. But when it came to Antman I was very skeptical before I went to see it. I didn’t like the idea. I mean, the power of being small and managing ants? Didn’t sound like such a cool power to me and I could see myself having the same affect Chappie had one me. I would find it hard to sympathise with a character that wasn’t the normal kind of human. I don’t know why, but when movies have slow motion points and I was supposed to sympathise with the emotions of the robot, I couldn’t do it. I worried I would have the same problem when it came to this miniature and yet equally as strong guy.

The movie is about a superhero who can shrink to the size of ants and yet have the strength of a human. He can also control ants so they can work with him. But someone else wants to have a similar kind of robot or creature so that they can help win wars with it. When no one sees the attack coming, it’s pretty hard to stop it. But the problem is, such power in the wrong hands doesn’t bode well to Hank, who created the first Antman suit. It all falls down to an unsuspected father to foil the company’s plot before it turns out of hand.

The movie ended up being better than I had expected. But I still wouldn’t classify it as ‘good’. When it comes to superhero movies, it falls underneath Captain America, which makes it my worst superhero film. Oh well.

One thing I really did like was Paul Rudd’s acting. In fact, he was definitely the star of the film. He played his character well and in general I did like his character. A guy who just was released from prison and wanted to go about the clean way in earning money so he could be the dad his daughter would look up to. But then finds out that holding down a job with a record like his isn’t easy.

Who I didn’t like was the female main character, who was the daughter of Hank Pym, called Hope. She was played by Evageline Lilly and I am not entirely sure exactly what it was, but I found her character to be whiny and annoying. It seemed like she had a lot of the same characteristics as an annoyed teenager when she was supposed to be an adult, and that bothered me quite a bit. She didn’t impress me.

There was some humor in this film. At the beginning it was simply too forced and well, I couldn’t laugh and instead found myself rolling my eyes. But when it came towards the halfway point in the film, the jokes suddenly became just right and I could laugh because they were actually funny.

The action was alright in itself, but it wasn’t too spectacular. Most of it was done when he was in Ant form anyway, so it couldn’t really be. And like I feared I would be unable to sympathise, it did happen. I wasn’t happy with the slow motion sections and it didn’t interest me at all. When they were fighting on a toy train set and they were mini it was supposed to be funny and all. To me it just seemed sort of pathetic if I am honest ><

Of course the movie did have to go through the whole ‘this is the reason we can’t call the Avengers.’ Because usually when it comes to problems like this, why wouldn’t they? But I was glad it did that though, so fans like me couldn’t be picky about it :D And of course a guest Avenger had to appear. But I really liked that part because it was one of my favourite characters from Captain America 2.

Comment on the End Credits: I don’t really need the promise of Antman coming back because well, I wasn’t so intrigued. But I guess he will. And it was nice to see some more guest Avengers.

I might be being harsh on this movie, but it was okay. I might just have some high standards with superhero movies after Iron Man xD

New Video! To match up with my Saturday post, here is my video version of my book haul :)

Olivia’s Question: What would you do if you were miniature?

Olivia-Savannah x

39 comments:

  1. I wasn't so sure about the movie either. I'm still going to watch it on DVD though. Thanks for this awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will be able to like it more than me! I think my dislike for this one was a personal thing and less the movie itself.

      Delete
  2. I quite enjoyed this one, but I couldn't stand Evangeline Lilly and her character: she was really annoying, but I didn't like her in Lost neither.

    And to answer your question: I'd build a Lego house to live in :)

    Sonia | A Film A Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen her in anything apart from this movie, but I guess I am not alone in my dislike. I am glad you could enjoy this one more than me :) Checking out your review of it right now!

      Delete
  3. Maybe part of your disappointment had to do with the hype over this movie. When something is hyped up a lot, we tend to expect more of it. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's never easy when there is a lot of hype and I generally do look forward to Marvel movies.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this one yet and I was too nervous to pay to see it at the cinema, I will probably wait until it is on Sky so I don't have to pay. It seemed okay but not like it was going to be amazing. Hopefully my low expectations will help it, seeing as it can't be anywhere near as bad as I am imagining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would've waited as well but it was a family trip :) I hope you will like it more than you are anticipating it to be!

      Delete
  5. I love my superhero movies too, but I will wait for this to come out on Blueray. I was so tempted to see it at the theater, but I am still stalling. I'm such a huge Marvel Comics fan, but like you, I am very skeptical about it. Let's talk Captain A. I love his character, but I think The Winter Soldier solidified my love for his particular movies. I didn't like the first one, but after Avengers I had to see what he was really like, and I fell in love with the second movie of his. Still, Iron Man is my favorite Marvel hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love all of the X-Men movies!

      Delete
    2. I wasn't a fan of the first Captain A movie at all (hoping to write reviews about them both) but I did think the second one was okay. It grew on me... but it took time. His character is nice enough though. I like him most in Avengers :P

      Iron Man is awesome although I have only seen of his independent from Avengers movies. Oh, and I am gradually working my way through all the X-Men ones right now! Loving the majority of them so far ^^

      Delete
  6. I haven't watched it yet but I am skeptical too...it just doesn't seem cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is one a lot of people are unsure about, but I hope you will find something to like!

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry you weren't able to enjoy this more, Olivia-Savannah! I didn't think it was the best Marvel movie I ever saw, but I am excited to see where they will take Ant Man's character and would have to say that I did really like it. And YOU DIDN'T LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA!? *cries, sobs, breaks down* Gah, how that kills me! I absolutely, 100% with all my heart and soul adore Captain America. Maybe our Marvel tastes are just opposite then...? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he will be better within the Avengers or if they make another movie of his. I know, I share an unpopular opinion there >< I think maybe we do have opposite tastes because I liked the Iron Man movies a lot more.

      Delete
  8. I must confess, Paul Rudd as an action hero doesn't really appeal to me. And Antman doesn't sound too kick ass. Bah. Sorry. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wasn't so excited for this one and it's a shame it wasn't so great.

      Delete
  9. Well you just put a new movie on my radar girl! It sucks that you didn't like it girl because I really respect your opinion! I'm going to watch and let you know (and also, that gif, was it from the movie?) Because if so, it did kind of look cheesy for a superhero movie. Js. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you hadn't heard of this one before! There is a lot of buzz around it. I am looking forward to knowing what you think of this one. And the gif was from the actual movie and is in the trailer as well, which was a bit off putting then...

      Delete
  10. I don't have super high expectations for this one, but good to hear it was better than you expected

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you still manage to enjoy it when you watch it.

      Delete
  11. I love Paul Rudd's acting but it has not been enough of a draw for me to see Antman. Like you I'm not too impressed by his superhero powers but I guess it has done well enough to have a possible sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is actually the first movie of Paul Rudd's that I have seen. I should check out some other ones actually. Yeah, the powers were a bit strange and that is what put me off...

      Delete
  12. I keep hearing that everyone was skeptical about this movie yet pleasantly surprised. I'm glad to here it! Paul Rudd is a great actor, and I'm happy to see he's great in this one too. I'm sad that the action scenes aren't great, but at least it's funny, right? :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is good that the humor was up to par here :) I think it really depends on the person for this one. Not quite my cup of tea, but still a decent movie.

      Delete
  13. Yeah, I think I will wait until DVD. I do love Paul Rudd though
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did a great job in this movie! I would've done the same, but it was a family trip :D Still worth the time!

      Delete
  14. I have a tiny crush on Paul Rudd ever since I saw him in Clueless years ago! I can't wait to see this film. Evangeline Lilly I'm not fond of as an actress, I loved the show Lost and she was the worst thing about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't seen Clueless although I really do need to. It seems like Evangeline doesn't have too many fans as well...

      Delete
  15. At first I didn't want to watch this one because come on, Ant-Man just sounds dumb. BUT, I did end up watching and loving it. I'm sorry to hear, however, you weren't as impressed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :-)

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it didn't sound so good but I know a lot of people are being pleasantly surprised! I am glad you could love it <3

      Delete
  16. I couldn't believe this was Marvel at first because of the ridiculous name. Like Antman... sounds kind of childish to me but I heard from some friends that this movie is actually very mature. And it's always nice to have a new hero to cheer for. Awesome review!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was quite a surprise to a lot of people but this movie definitely keeps it on the mature level!

      Delete
  17. I have such a fond memory of this movie! I watched it when I went to Philippines, and I watched it with a fellow book blogger friend of mine - Jules, which made it an awesome experience!
    I really loved Paul Rudd in this movie! He was super adorable!:) His relationship with his daughter was so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you had such a good experience when watching this one. I think Paul Rudd was great and yes, that relationship and how much he wanted to be a good father to her was lovely.

      Delete
  18. I haven't even *heard* of this movie before, so there's how much I know about the superhero franchise at the moment! But seriously- is that gif from the movie? Because I almost want to watch it, if it is. Thomas the Tank Engine being in a superhero movie at all is hilarious, but if the gif is any representation of the humor of the movie, ridiculous or not, I'm edging closer!
    I am sorry this was lousey for you, though, at least for the most part. I hope your next super-adventure fares much better. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, that's okay! And yes, the gif is! I think this might just be the superhero movie for you, to edge you into the franchise ;)

      Delete