Thursday, 14 May 2015

Stone Cold Dead (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Stone Cold Dead (Dark Secrets #1)
Author:  Shea Berkley
Publisher:  Thursday Publishing
Published Date: 1st February 2015
Rating: 2 stars
 
*Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for the review copy*

Quickie Update! Not sure how many of you noticed but I have finally gotten around to adding an About Me on side bar as well as a list of blogs I follow a little further below. There's some really cool ones down there, so be sure to check it out. 

Synopsis: When an ancient curse brings Anara Whitecliff to Boston, she must choose between standing by and watching the city suffer, or join a daring mortal in his fight to protect the innocent. A brand new series from award winning author Shea Berkley. Step into the world of Dark Secrets for unparalleled paranormal action, adventure and romance. Death stalks the dark streets of Boston, but even death has enemies… Being a hero is Ryan di Taro’s job. Eradicating the city of vampires and other monsters that hide in the dark is how he got the title. When an unknown woman appears and saves his life and then disappears, he’s not sure if he’s made a friend or enemy. Should he accept her help in hunting down the undead, or is she part of an elaborate plan the creatures of darkness have created to end his quest to see evil eliminated for good? “Reading Shea Berkley is like watching magic unfold before your eyes.” — Darynda Jones, New York Times bestselling author.

Review: I am being a bit harsh on this book. It had a lot of elements in it that I didn’t like, and yet I still managed to enjoy the book reasonably well and hope to read the second book.

It had been SO long since I’d read a vampire book so I was looking forward to it. I couldn’t help being a bit disappointed that this book was mostly centered on the vampire hunters and not the vampires themselves. In fact, we even get a bit of werewolf and witch-work in here. But not that much focus on the vampires at all, so this really wasn’t what I was expecting.

The main character (Anara) and I did not get off to a good start. She makes a mistake when she is trying to save a woman from vampires and then goes and makes the exact same mistake when she is going to save someone else. I mean, hello, learn from what you did wrong the first time! I will admit that her character started to grow on me, but at the beginning she made some dumb decisions and seemed to over-play her mysterious element somewhat.

I also felt like this had a lot of movie-like moments in them. Not where it seemed the author had been writing the words with a story in mind, but more so like she had been writing it as a scene for a movie. That gave it a strangely cliché and cheesy feeling to it? I wanted to read a book and not a movie.

At the beginning we are straight away thrown into a hunting of vampires. I felt like that was fine – but then we never get the backstory at all! In my opinion I don’t like being thrown right into the story without knowing anything about the past. So it bothered me somewhat, but I moved on from that.

Ryan and Beau are basically Sam and Dean
 but specified to vampires
They are also hunting some children in this novel called Sage and Baby. When we find out why they are being hunted, the reason was somewhat disappointing. I wanted it to be because they were special for some reason or so, but it ended up being something a whole lot more generic.

There was insta-love in this book and that is what brought the rating down to two stars for sure where I was previously debating. They knew each other for two days and were together… and then for four days and were popping the words ‘I love you’. It was just too fast and not sincere enough for my liking >.>

I did love the characters of Sage and Baby. They do make some silly decisions as well but that can be excused because they are simply children. Sage is pretty smart for her ages and a very good older sister to have. And then Baby is just too cute and trusting, trying to be the best she can be to make her older sister’s job of looking after her easier. Ryan and Beau were nice characters but nothing special in my opinion. And though Anara and I started on the wrong foot, she grew on me and we became okay.

In summary, this book was pretty cliché, a quick read and typical as well. But at the same time, even with all its flaws it was strangely enjoyable? I know I will be reading the sequel soon!

Olivia’s Question: Do you like looking after children?


Olivia-Savannah x

20 comments:

  1. Oh jeez.... this sounds like something I would not enjoy. Not only I'm getting tired of (YA) vampires but when you mentioned insta-love I was like nope, nope, nope, nope all over again hahaha another thing I can't stand either is when a character makes the same mistake as you have also mentioned... Learning is not that hard, for goodness' sake!
    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this as much as you wanted to but at least it was enough and you'll be reading the sequel. I hope that is better :)
    And regarding your questions, I love kids but I don't know if I could be a nanny. I don't have the greatest of patience but hey, never say never. Maybe I find new abilities I didn't know I had hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely positive you would not enjoy this one and should miss it. I always try and learn from my mistakes and she even ran through what she had done wrong, so I was so shocked when she did it again DD:
      Ahaha maybe you will when it comes to kids ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Olivia - First off, thank you for adding FZ to the list of blogs you follow; means a lot to me. I have yet to add more that I picked up during the A - Z challenge, so you're ahead of me. Now, as far as the book goes -- it's definitely not for me. The cover grips me, but not in a good way. Take care!
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I read almost every post so it would've naturally made it anyway :) This book actually has a cover I wouldn't usually pick up - it's more so the sequel that caught my eye and I backtracked so I would know what was happening.

      Delete
  3. Yikes. I haven't had vampire book in a while, aside from BDB, but that series is almost an unrecognizable vampire book, anyway so I don't think it counts. Lol. This book doesn't sound like a fun read at all what with all her poor decisions and insta-love romance. I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been quite a while since I'd read one either! It had a lot of annoying elements in it, so I can understand.

      Delete
  4. I'm so tired of cliche' vampire stories. That's why I stopped reading them. I think I'll pass on this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaaah a lot of them can get a bit too cliche!

      Delete
  5. A vampire book which doesn't actually concentrate on the vampires? I don't think I will be reading that book anytime soon. It jumped straight in and had insta love, I would be ripping my hair out whilst reading the book! Great review!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was a strange way of incorporating them into the story!

      Delete
  6. Eeek two stars is depressing. I like paranormal books, but it sucks this one couldn't work out for you, atleast you gave it a try :) You can try the Night Huntress series if you haven't read it before. It's an adult series, but it's honestly not that bad with it's scenes. <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my paranormal reads as well, but there really is a 50% chance I will either love or hate them. It's so easy to find a bunch or rubbish ones, but the gems are great as well <3 I haven't tried or heard of that series before so I will check them out!

      Delete
  7. So you were not in love with this book. I am so much of a chicken that vampire movies terrify me so I definitely would never sit down to read a book about them. I have a sister that loves this kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vampire books are not for everyone! Maybe this is something more so for your sister :3

      Delete
  8. I am glad that there was enough in this 'so so' book to interest you in reading the next in series and that you were able to get past the few elements that you were bothered by. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although those things did bother me they couldn't have been too bad because I do want to keep reading!

      Delete
  9. Bummer on the insta-love. That ruins books for me too, unless I'm in the mood for it, which doesn't happen too often.

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is very rare when I enjoy a book with insta love.

      Delete