Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Love Hurts (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Love Hurts
Authors: Various (although they were chosen by Malorie Blackman)
Publisher:  Corgi Childrens
Published Date:  29th January 2015 (my birthday!)
Rating: 3 stars


*Thank you to the publisher for the review copy*

Help me out! I blog just as much for myself as I do for those who read! And lately I thought it would be great to hear back from YOU. So I have made a short (seriously, seriously short) survey to quickly find out what you might want to see on here. So click here to help me out!


Synopsis:  Malorie Blackman brings together the best teen writers of today in a stunningly romantic collection about love against the odds. Featuring short stories and extracts - both brand-new and old favourites - about modern star-crossed lovers from stars such as Gayle Forman, Markus Zusak, Patrick Ness and Andrew Smith, and with a new story from Malorie Blackman herself, Love Hurts looks at every kind of relationship, from first kiss to final heartbreak.


Review: When I saw that the short stories were chosen by Malorie Blackman, one of my favourite authors, I knew I had to try this anthology. However, I thought it would be filled with original stories. The majority of these were excerpts of longer novels, which was a bit disappointing. People could jolly well go and read the actual book instead of reading a collection of excerpts. Anyway, I worked my way through it and there were 23 stories – far too many for me to cover all in one review. So I have pulled out my top ten to discuss. So, in no particular order:


Humming Through my Fingers by Malorie Blackman: I have read this original short story of hers somewhere before, probably in one of her own collections. And it still touched me just as much here. I think the title was brilliant, for one. It was about a girl who is blind and the way that she sees life. It was an eye opener to me, and it still intrigues me how someone who is not blind could write about blindness so well.


The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle: This one had some lovely descriptions in it, and I loved how the main character speculated about life. A sweet story and I have added it to my TBR because I would like to see more.


If I Stay by Gayle Foreman: I know, I still haven’t read this one but I will! I have heard so much about it and this author, and I ended up enjoying what I read. I loved how tied in music was to the story, especially as I am a music lover myself. Loved the style, romance mentioned and also the characters. Can’t wait!


Trouble by Non Pratt: I am SO going to read this now, and I am glad I stumbled upon it now. It’s a story about teen pregnancy where someone agrees to pretend to be the father in a way of making a small redemption for Hannah, the teenager who is pregnant. I can’t wait to see where this goes. TBR!


You Against Me by Jenny Downham: I think this has been on my TBR for a while and I am intrigued now. I loved the set-up of the betrayal and how both of them were using each other.


Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman: YES I LOVE THIS SERIES. When I saw the excerpt included I got so excited you wouldn’t believe it. Every time I think about the first book my heart breaks a little. You need to read these books if you haven’t. It puts a different spin on the discrimination idea where the blacks (crosses) are the ones above the whites (noughts). There is also a forbidden love in there.


Gentlewoman by Laura Dockrill: Interesting… this one was about gender change. I have never read about that before and I would like to try this one to simply see what it is about. It is not a published book yet, but when it is, you know what will happen ^.^


I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak: After loving the Book Thief this is definitely one for the TBR. I loved the style it was written in and approve of the main character a lot. His thinking rhythm is pretty similar to mind in some cases, picking out random things others might not notice. Beautiful descriptions.


Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma: Hm, this book is about a brother and sister who fall in love. I have never read a book like this or with this theme (except y’know, The Mortal Instruments but I am not going to count that) so I want to read the whole book and see how it is handled there.


We Were Liars by Emily Lockhart: Well, I have already read and loved this book. The romance isn’t as strongly featured in this one, but it is more so the idea of friendship. And the ending will blow you away, so just read it already.


Olivia’s Question: Do you like reading excerpts?


Olivia-Savannah x

20 comments:

  1. Such a heart-felt review :-) And yes I do love reading excerpts, but not all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I rarely read them unless I am highly anticipating the book.

      Delete
  2. That is disappointing. You'd expect an anthology to be complete stories within. I provide excerpts on my blog as many people seem to like them a lot. However, personally when I'm looking for a book to read, I depend upon the book blurb and a few reviews.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - and in that retrospect it was a bit disappointing. I wanted to see short stories and there were a few unique ones in there that weren't excerpts, but not quite enough.

      Delete
  3. I will say the idea of this book is a bit weird.... I don't mind reading excerpts from time to time but not a book full of them. I would rather prefer a book full with short stories than excerpts to be honest but that's just my opinion. I also need to read Noughts and Crosses, I've owned that book for two years hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with you there! Oh my, you do need to read it because you don't know what you're missing!

      Delete
  4. I do enjoy reading excerpts, short stories, etc.. Though, I'm partial to anthologies that get to the point within a couple of pages. They're great to read if you want to see if you would actually buy the book. I just read an excerpt this morning for a book that I'm thinking of buying, and I'm glad to say that I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear you read the excerpt and managed to enjoy it. I think it is a good way to taste-test a book if that makes any sense.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know this was a collection of excerpts. It's an interesting way to showcase many books at once and hopefully leave people wanting more so they'll go out and buy the whole book - I however, don't think I would buy it because it is a collection of excerpts, when I could be buying a whole story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would buy a physical copy of this one either! But I do like how I got to try a bit of everything.

      Delete
  6. I would be so annoyed if I thought I would be reading true short stories and instead read excerpts of novels. Some of the stories sound okay but I do think compilers of anthologies need to let readers know what they are purchasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with everything you say! If it wasn't such a surprise I would be getting excerpts, it would be better.

      Delete
  7. I like reading excerpts for books, but I don't know that I would want to read a whole book of them. I do like the cover and think it is cute. I appreciate your review because I would have been expecting something else from this book.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - reading the whole book took time because I read others at the same time as well.

      Delete
  8. I love how in depth you get in your reviews. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute is the title & the cover though :) If I Stay was pretty amazing, you HAVE to read it soon. It's a must read for sure. I finished reading The Infinite Moment of Us recently and it was disappointing. It's a cute book, but the the characters are just so annoying. Maybe you might like it better than me? Awesome review Olivia!
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to If I Stay a whole lot! And the movie as well. It's a shame you didn't like it - maybe it's not as good as I anticipated it to be?

      Delete
  10. I do like an excerpt but I don't know about a whole book of them! This one does have a lot of awesome authors and such a sweet cover! Great post!
    Heather @Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mix of authors is what appealed to me the most, really :3

      Delete