Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Devon's Choice (Review)

Hi there!

Quickie Announcement! I have two things to announce today! First off is that I have reached day 50 of my 365 day photo challenge and still going strong ;) Hopefully after the summer I can put some of the photography up on here too. And secondly, my friend and I have finally gotten around to making a joint nail art instagram account! Come check it out here!


Title: Devon’s Choice
Author: Catherine Bennett
Publisher: Clean Reads
Published Date: 12th January 2015
Rating: 3 Stars
 
*Thank you to the author for the review copy*

Synopsis: Life holds no surprises for Devon Murphy. Her life consists of keeping tabs on her aging Irish father, working part time at a coffee shop, and building her online graphics design business. Devon’s only tricky situation is a shallow relationship with the pampered and affluent Michael Turner, who sees her as just another woman to conquer.

Following his father’s death, Brandon’s only goal is to expand the family business and live life on his own terms. That is, until he walks into the coffee shop one snowy evening and meets the enchanting, red-haired barista behind the counter. But can Devon and Brandon’s attraction for each other be strong enough to help erase their deepest disappointments and renew their faith in God?

Review: After seeing this book featured on Inspired Books Guide I became all the more curious about it and wanted to try it out for myself. I’ve also been trying to mix my style of reading some more and this one would fall under Christian fiction, so I was looking forward to it.

I did enjoy this one, and I think my main problem was that it was so short. It’s at about 160 pages and I think if the author had written some more and expanded on some points, I would’ve been able to get to know a lot of the characters better and expanded on some scenes and enjoyed the whole thing. But let’s start with some good points.

I immediately liked Devon. She was a generally nice character and she had a lot of the same principals as I did – family, faith and friends. Even though she had strayed from the church community she still wanted to stay pure until marriage despite pressure from her boyfriend. You have to give her some respect for that! And her friend, Megan, never stopped inviting her to church and promising her that she would be welcomed and not shunned from the group. You have to admire that about Megan as well.

There was a love triangle in this one, with two love interests. There was Michael who was rich and a bit bossy as well. He would tell Devon what to do and though he seemed to stick to the grounds she wanted, he did seem pushy as well. Personally I felt like he was always set up to be the ‘bad guy’ of the two of them and I felt like we never got to see the good side to him that must’ve made Devon want to go out with him in the first place.

Brandon was a nice, kind guy. Although he wasn’t religious, again he had some good mindsets and was a hard worker. He stuck to the guidelines Devon set and I felt like although he did have his own flaws, he was good at respecting her as well. Again, I did feel like he was set up to be the ‘good guy’ since we first meet him, and would’ve liked if the lines between the two were a bit more blurred. If we got see the good and bad side of them both!

The writing style was a bit simplistic which was fine for reading but it didn’t excite me or particularly draw me into the story too much. The main conflict in this novel was between Devon choosing what she wanted. And then her father is ill – and some of the conflict was him battling his illness.

This was reasonably short, so I don’t have too much to say! But I would be happy to read some more Christian fiction after this one!

Olivia’s Question: Do you read any religious fiction of your own religion?

Olivia-Savannah x

12 comments:

  1. Following your nail art insta account, which is pretty cool! I wish I could learn some tricks from you about how to keep your hand steady and draw!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following! I will try and make a nail art video with tips and tricks as well so maybe you can learn some!

      Delete
  2. Devon does sound like a great character and one easy to like

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christian Fiction. I've read countless books since I was a teen, and I've always stayed within the YA category. There's some adult CF that I love, but not as much. This one seems like one that I'd read for sure. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know you enjoy it so much! I do hope you like this one especially :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an interesting blurb, but doesn't sound like it was what you were hoping for.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was intriguing, but you are correct - not quite what I wanted.

      Delete
  5. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one that I have been curious about. A book has to be pretty well written to work in a shorter format. I'm glad you liked it enough. :) I do love Christian romance and have several favorites. :) I'd definitely recommend Becky Wade.

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check Becky Wade out! But yes, if the novel is too long or too short you do have to be careful.

      Delete