Thursday, 19 March 2015

Wind Catcher (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Wind Catcher (A Chosen Novel #1)
Author:  
Jeff & Erynn Altabef
Publisher:  Evolved Publishing
Published Date:  21st March 2015
Rating: 3 Stars

*Thank you to the author for the review copy*

Synopsis:  Juliet Wildfire Stone hears voices and sees visions, but she can't make out what they mean. Her eccentric grandfather tells her stories about the Great Wind Spirit and Coyote, but he might as well be speaking another language. None of it makes any sense.         

When she stumbles upon a series of murders, she can't help but worry her grandfather might be involved. To discover the truth, Juliet must choose between her new life at an elite private school and her Native American heritage. Once she uncovers an ancient secret society formed over two hundred years ago to keep her safe, she starts to wonder whether there's some truth to those old stories her grandfather has been telling her.  

All she wants is to be an average sixteen-year-old girl, but she has never been average-could never be average.                                      

Betrayed by those she loves, she must decide whether to run or risk everything by fulfilling her destiny as the Chosen.                                                                                              

Review: I had high hopes for this book. After reading Shatter Point and absolutely loving that by Jeff Altabef, when I heard he was co-writing a book with his sixteen year old daughter, I pounced on it. And although I did like it, it wasn’t as amazing as I hoped it would be.

There was the Native American mythology theme running through this book, and seeing as I haven’t read many about this I found that to be pretty intriguing in itself. I learned a bit about it, and it did make for a pretty killer storyline. So when it came to the general plot, I was happy. There was also a theme of identity running through this because Juliet is a girl of two worlds – the Native American kind, and the typical American society she also wants to fit in with. Throughout the novel she goes on to discover who she is, and what that means to her.
 

Speaking of Juliet though, she did bother me as a main character at some points, which was why I couldn’t quite love this book completely. She seemed to be a very impulsive and angry person, which is fine, because she had been betrayed and hurt a lot in this book. But I found she was someone who did contradicting things too often. One moment she would hate her grandfather, and the next she wouldn’t, but then she would again. The bouncing back and forth bothered me. She seemed to disbelieve certain aspects about the Native American belief, but then she believed in others? That was a little bit confusing. And I found her to be a bit spiteful to other people simply because of her emotions, and it really wasn’t the other persons fault. That bothered me a bit.

I really liked Tony’s character though. He was Juliet’s best friend, and an utterly loyal person. He was kind, gentle and basically, anything anyone could want in a guy. Yep, Troy is n my good books.

This book is a bit slow and steady. After reading half of the novel we still had more questions than answers and solely hints at the main plot. It was kind of agonizing to read about all these suspicions without the main thing actually coming into play, and it made me slow down when reading this. I also thought the writing style was a bit younger than his other book. Needless to say, it was because it was a young adult and possibly because of the co-author, but it would’ve nicer if it wasn’t so young. Young adults can keep up with adult fiction writing style as well!

I would like to continue reading this series though. Looking forward to book two being published in November!

Olivia’s Question: What is your favourite kind of mythology?

Olivia-Savannah x

24 comments:

  1. Happy it was good overall but I hate slow books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when it slowed down it was a bit disappointing, but that aside it was good!

      Delete
  2. Hi Olivia - I'm also attracted to Native American mythology. I've seen this book around and was curious about it. I appreciate your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know you heard of this one before! I really liked the authors previous book as well. Native American mythology is something I want to learn more about as well.

      Delete
  3. Co-authoring with the daughter must have been fun! I enjoy books themed on mythology! I love to see the connections the author attempts to make. I am inclined towards Greek and Hindu mythology- so many great stories in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! What a cool thing for the family to do ^.^ I am someone who really loves Greek mythology (guilty of Percy Jackson leading me into this) but research it a lot on my own. Hindu mythology is one I have brushed across but should really sink into with more detail.

      Delete
  4. I know nothing about Native American mythology and it's sound intriguing. Also, the cover is a stunner! I don't mind a slow-paced book but it has to be done right. Maybe I'll check this book out and see for myself! And I love Greek mythology with all my heart! I'm also intrigued about Norse mythology but I never seem to find a good book about it =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite like me before reading this book, then! I think it is good that you can handle some slow pace - that's a valued quality in a reader. If you do check it out, I look forward to hearing what you think. I haven't read too many great books about Norse mythology either...

      Delete
  5. The NA theme throughout sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm Native American mythology sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Greek, Egyptian and Norse mythology (most of my story ideas are based or connected to them). Arthurian legends too. I feel for you that the book wasn't an overall joy to read but at least it didn't completely turn you off from other works by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greek mythology is great, and Egyptian is too! Love them. I should read up on Arthurian legends.

      Delete
  8. One of my pet peeves in definitely slow paced books, I like mine at a medium to high pace. I've never heard of Native American mythology before it does look kind of interesting, great review!!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people would agree with you on the pacing, myself included! I think you should try some NA mythology!

      Delete
  9. I turned the option down to review this book, I don't think I would like it with the slow pace especially since it's more of a fantasy novel - it does have a beautiful cover though. Lovely review x Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is good that you passed up your chance in that case...

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! And thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  11. Sometimes books with slow plot lines are okay every once in awhile. I like the aspect of the Native American mythology interwoven into the plot. I know more about Greek mythology than Native American, so maybe I'll look into this one more. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they can be. And reading a different kind of mythology for once was refreshing!

      Delete