Thursday, 12 March 2015

Perfect Escape (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Perfect Escape (Family Portrait series #4)
Author:  Gillian Felix
Publisher:  Self-published
Published Date:  7th December 2014
Rating: 2 stars

*Thank you to the author for the review copy*

Synopsis: In this coming-of-age story, teen singing sensation Leighann DaCosta tries to find out who she is without her music career. A career that has been part of her life since before the age of ten. When Leighann’s estranged father enters her life, she is caught up in a tug-of-war between both parents. Does she trust the man who abandoned her as a baby, or a mother who is losing her mind? When heartthrob Zax Banovic is assigned to tutor Leighann, he provides her with the perfect escape from the madness in her life. Enter Kristin Newman, Zax’s super-hot, sickeningly perfect, tennis-pro girlfriend, who dampens any chance Leighann has with him. After the unthinkable happens, Leighann’s world is shattered, causing her to shut everyone out. Unable to cope, Leighann accepts help from her frenemy, but will the help she accept come with a hefty price?
 

Review: Hm, this is a tough one to review. I almost gave it three stars, but lowered the score. I will tell you why.

I did jump into the middle of this series but it wasn’t a problem at all. This could be read as a standalone, and without it sounding to infodump-like the author managed to give us a good summary of what happened in the previous books. For that I am grateful.

But this book was clichéd in some aspects and not in some others. It was set in high school and we got the kind of clichéd romance story. An ex-superstar (who is somehow seen as the invisible girl) fancies the popular guy. And then we have the whole she likes him, but he likes someone else, and that person is cheating on him, etc… those typical lines of romances we see in some YA stories. Frankly, it kind of bored me. I wanted something new.

At the same time, there were some aspects that were unique. When the ending was coming together there was a shocking event which I didn’t expect to see heading our way. It was nice to see something new dive into the middle of the story. As well as that, the book deals with some pretty tough topics like drugs, divorce and being a child and feeling like the parent at home. I liked seeing those in there.

Words I wanted to tell Leighann
However, even though I did like them, it was hard to make myself like them as much as I wanted to. That was because there was a very simplistic writing style. And by simplistic, I mean very simplistic. I wanted the author to use some more complex language to make the story three dimensional and so that everything could run a bit deeper, play more on my emotions than simply be a story told to me. And because the writing style lacked that I felt like the novel didn’t have as much of an impact on me as it could’ve.

Again, due to the writing style I felt like I never got to know the characters well enough. There were quite a few of them which may have constituted to that fact. I also felt like I only knew them on the surface like it was superficial. Which made me sad because there were some that showed potential here, like Leighann.

I don’t think I have much more to say. This is a pretty good read, and if you wanted something a bit typical and fast for one day or so, then this could be for you!

Olivia’s Question: Do you often read books in one sitting or a day?

Olivia-Savannah x

18 comments:

  1. That was a bold review, Olivia. I too prefer the complexity of emotions, because it reminds the book to us for a long time. But an enjoyable read, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the more emotional a book is the more memorable it will be for me!

      Delete
  2. To me, it's the characters that make the book. If you can't get to know them, it's frustrating. I actually don't care whether I like a character or hate a character -- at least it gives them 'life'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much the same as you, another character driven reader! I understand what you mean.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your review. I enjoy all reviews whether good or bad. I appreciate the time you took to read it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry I wasn't able to enjoy this one as much as I initially hoped to! I was happy to read and review it, so thank you for the review copy!

      Delete
  4. I hate both too simplistic writing style or very complicated one. I want an in-between, you know? And I don't tend to read book in a sitting or a day, except for some MG books. Those are easy to get through that time hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is essential when it comes to writing style! It can be hard to find the time to read a book in a sitting or a day, I mostly only manage it through the holidays on the occasion.

      Delete
  5. Clichéd aspects bother me, it just gets annoying after so much. Too simplistic writing throws me off too. Nice review! And I usually can only finish a book in a day if it's 230 pages or less, if it's over 400 pages, I tend to finish it in 3-5 days.

    ~Cari @ My Addiction: Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree because a book needs to have an element of originality in it to be set aside from the others. That's pretty impressive! For 400 pages or more it would take me about the same, I think.

      Delete
  6. It sounds intriguing...but sad it wasn't deeper. That always sucks in a book. *sigh* And cliche! AGH. I get quickly bored/frustrated with cliches, although the musical premise does catch my eye because I LURVE MUSIC.
    I usually read a book in a day. Definitely not one sitting, haah. I don't have a very good attention span.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is brilliant <3 A short attention span? Psssh... you're still finishing books in a day!

      Delete
  7. Oh no.. sounds like a lot of novels have been disappointing you lately, we're on the same boat lol. Bit sad the story and characters lacked depth and fell flat for you. Love the honest review x <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :/ I do need to find a good read soon!

      Delete
  8. Typical High School Romance in YA fiction does get tiring. I see what you mean by simplistic writing not staying with you longer.
    I recently read Kiss Of Fire (Imdalind Series) by Rebecca Ethington. I enjoyed it. You should give it a try if you need a break from typical YA. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check that one out, Manisha, it sounds good. Thanks for the suggestion! Uniqueness is key in books these days :3

      Delete
  9. Hmmm, doesn't sound good enough for me to buy. O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :/ This one did fall a little too short for that.

      Delete