Thursday, 26 February 2015

50/50 (Movie Review)

Hello folks!

Today I’m going to tell you about this movie called 50/50 released in 2011. It has a really great actor in it who I love called Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It also helps that he’s absolutely gorgeous good at convincing me of whatever role he’s playing  ;)For some reason I thought this film was something totally different when I picked it up and bought it, but I’m still so glad I did.

The idea of the movie is as follows. Adam is just a normal every day guy when he goes to the doctors to see if they can help solve his back problems he’s been feeling. To his surprise his doctor tells him he has a rare form of spinal cancer. His best friend, mother and the therapist he starts seeing help him through the sudden change in his life. Throughout the movie Adam learns what he really needs in life, and what isn’t so important.

There are also some other great actors/actresses here that I don’t just because of the added bonus of their appearance ^^ Anna Kendrick is starred as Adam’s therapist, and she’s another actress I am a BIG fan of. There is also Seth Rogen who I didn’t know as an actor before this. What I liked about this film so much was that it told the cancer story in another way. You get films to letters to God where all your mates end up crying, and books like The Fault in Our Stars, but then this films brings cancer into the life of an average party life adult guy. I had never seen that angle of it and how he and the people around him dealt with it. I thought it was really realistic and it was also super sad, but then meaningful :’) I loved it. It wasn't all sad though, there was some light moments in it too.
 
I think the best thing about this film was that even though the main character was diagnosed, he still wanted to live his everyday life and be as active as he used to be. He didn't want his illness to dominate his life, and the more it seeped in the more he struggled to cope.

The film was directed by Jonathan Levine who also directed Warm Bodies (a movie I have yet to see). The film itself is rated a 12, and it runs for about 96 minutes. I loved this film so much, I would probably give it five stars :D

Olivia’s Question: Have you donated to Cancer Research yet?

Olivia-Savannah x

34 comments:

  1. Always wondered if this movie was funny, but I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt too much to watch him be sick. I mean, he is just too yummy for that! lol

    I did see Warm Bodies though and I read the book. They were both pretty good if you don't mind zombies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had its moments of humor, but then it still brought across the serious subject matter well too. I am looking forward to trying both the book and movie Warm Bodies!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen this movie but it looks really good, thanks for this review xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, and I hope you do watch it sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Hi Olivia - Someone recommended this movie to me a year or so back. I thought it was pretty thought provoking. Glad you liked it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you were able to enjoy it and watch it too.

      Delete
  4. I knew about this movie when it was released in Spain but I thought it was yet another normal comedy and not about cancer... and I'm pretty much thinking of watching it now. I know cancer is such a hard topic to discuss because it brings so much fear but is also great to see a movie that deals with it in a more light-hearted manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a comedy as well, which was why I was so surprised when I actually watched it. But I am glad it did. And yes, although it is more light-hearted, I found it to be a bit emotional at times and very realistic.

      Delete
  5. I saw previews for this movie and it looked pretty good. Not many theatres around here, though, so I have not seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not one of the latest movies! But it is still worth taking the time to see.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good movie. Have added to my list of to-buy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This hasn't been on my radar but the premise of living life to fullest even with diagnosis speaks to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This does sound like something you would like ^^

      Delete
  8. I love this movie, but of course I also adore Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I agree that this movie is definitely five stars. I loved Anjelica Huston in this too!

    I have seen Warm Bodies and I did like it, I didn't know it was the same director, that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you were able to love this one as much as I did! I should get round to watching Warm Bodies soon :3

      Delete
  9. Sounds like good movie. I've never heard of before. Your review made me want to take a look at the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it did so! You should watch the trailer and see what you think.

      Delete
  10. I remember watching and loving this movie too. I liked that it told a story I've seen so many times before in an entirely new and unique way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very unique, and that was why I enjoyed it so much.

      Delete
  11. Hey Olivia, I've watched it long time ago! It's a nice movie- a fun Cancer film, I hated it when Adam's hot girlfriend deserts him due to his illness, I liked the Anna-Joseph romance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that was such a terrible thing for her to do and proves she wasn't very loyal at all!

      Delete
  12. I saw this movie a while ago and I remember really liking it! I don't remember the details but I really like Seth Rogen as this clumsy guy, which is his typical role, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is indeed gorg- I mean, good in any role...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, the casting for this one was brilliant! I wouldn't have thought these particular actors would take on something like this, so I was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  13. I really like the trailer of this one, I'm glad you loved this movie :) I must check it out now <3 Wonderful review Olivia x Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have donated to cancer research. :)

    I haven't seen this movie! I remember hearing about it and I thought I heard it was based on a true story about one of Seth Rogen's friends. It sounds like a movie worth watching based on your review. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad for that :) I don't know if it is a true story or not but now I should definitely go and check upon that!

      Delete
  15. This is such a good movie! It manages to be series but adds just the right amount of comic relief. The acting is wonderful and it is all around one of my favorite movies. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know you found it had that balance in there as well. I loved it ^^

      Delete
  16. I haven't watched this, but I know my son and daughter's thought it was good too. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know more people are enjoying it. You should try it!

      Delete