Saturday, 15 November 2014

Role Models - Dead Poets Society 5/5

Hello there!
 
I hope you are excited, because today will be our final and concluding post about Dead Poets Society (I know, I know, it took me a while to get this last post up...) We’ve talked about seizing ourdays, conformity, the importance of poetry as well as perspective. And today, we are going to talk about role models.

When people hear the title Dead Poets Society, they think of the most famous quote: Oh Captain, my Captain! I think everyone should take a moment to deviate from this post and go read the poem the movie talks about so often.

And now, I am going to relate it to role models. Everyone these days seems to have a role model, someone they are striving to be like or they trust enough to take advice from. In the case of this movie, the role model came in the form of an English teacher who taught them how to live. But for some it could be singer, a model, a friend, a parent… the choices are endless.

Some people believe having a role model is a bad idea because that person could let you down. Some believe it is safest to have a role model who is historical or simply dead because they can’t make mistakes to make you disrespect them. Some don’t have role models as well, but they usually have an image of likeness to someone or something that they are striving after.

Be careful who you choose as your role model. Are they really good for you? Or should you try to be yourself more? You’re the only one who can answer this.

As for me, my role model is Jesus, and I really couldn’t try to be like anyone else.
 
Ongoing giveaway: Open for US, Canada & UK!
 
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/f2a15e3132/" rel="nofollow">a Rafflecopter giveaway



Olivia’s Catastrophe: Who is your role model? Why?

Olivia-Savannah x
Disclaimer: All images are not mine and are found on Pinterest.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia - Like you, Jesus is my role model that I know won't let me down. I have a few people here on earth that I admire. My sister and I were just talking about our Aunt Margaret and how she was so good for our self esteem when we were young girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's nice that you have someone you can remember who helped mold you into who you are today. It's also nice to know we share a role model as well ^^

      Delete
  2. I don't really think I have a role model to be honest but I do look up to both my parents. Even though sometimes role models can let you down is also a good thing, because it helps you shape your personality, you know?
    Great post, Olivia! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think I do agree with that, and having a role model make mistakes can also be beneficial to your personal growth.

      Delete
  3. I don't think having a role model is the problem but what you expect from that certain role model. When you have someone you look up to you have to also keep in mind that they are human and humans do mistakes.

    My aunt used to be my role model and looking up to her was so good for me growing up. It made me the person I am now and I am so grateful to her for that. But from a certain point I got my own set of wings and now we are more on an equal pedestal, which I think it's awesome to feel on the same ground with your own role model. I still consider her advice because it's great to have a second opinion, but I tend to trust my gut more. She still helps me a lot.

    Andreea | http://catsfika.blogspot.ro/
    Check Out My New Food Blog Flavour Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you can bear in mind that they are entitled and allowed to make mistakes themselves, then having a role model is fine. It's good to know that you were able to have someone to look up to until a certain point when you could stand alone. That's important too :)

      Delete
  4. I've never had a strong role model in my life. Well, no one real. I guess book characters are my role models because my favorites go through a lot of character growth and books have a big influence on my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of how book characters can also make pretty good role models sometimes, even if they are fictional! We can learn a lot from books.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful and thought-provoking post, Olivia!

    My role model would have to be Jesus' mother, Mary. She shows such strength and love for God and is, to me, a great female role model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it. I always find it interesting to see how different everyone's role models are. Mary sounds great.

      Delete
  6. Great post, Olivia! I don't really have a role model or someone I strive to be. There are probably quite a few people I love and admire, but no one I'd consider a role model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from the one mentioned, I am like you, with people I love and admire and not really a role model.

      Delete
  7. This is a really great post! I never really had a role model, but I've always looked up to my parents if that counts.

    Benish | Feminist Reflections
    Hardcover Copy of Betrayed Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe this would be a lot of people's answers because parents are the people who really help you find your way.

      Delete
  8. Role model, role model, um... That's hard. I think my family and God are my role models. This review was very true and hit right on the spot. I never thought about this while watching the movie. You seemed to really take aboard everything that film was saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did think through this film when we watched it together, and a lot of things struck me as important.

      Delete