Saturday, 29 November 2014

Recommended Reads: November 2014

Good morning!

I read a lot of books, and I don't even review every single book I read on this blog. I have also read a lot of good books before I even began reviewing last year, so I would like to share some recommended books I have enjoyed but you won't be seeing reviews of. So here goes!


The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Eupery: I have read this recently, and it was a quick read which I loved. There are so many good messages in here for teenagers, adults and kids to pick up on. If you haven't read it before I suggest you spend an afternoon doing so!

Noughts & Crosses series by Malorie Blackman: I couldn't recommend this anymore. Imagine a book where the racism situation is involved, but in this case the whites answer to the blacks. It was a backwards situation and she wrote it beautifully. Small details have been pinpointed, an amazing villain created and wonderful characters I loved. And the plot always kept me on my toes. Loved it, and am a big fan of her writing after reading this series!

The Host by Stephanie Meyer: I may be a fan of Twilight, but even if you're not you should still give this book a try! I think Meyer did a great job of writing two people in one body, and making this alien takeover interesting. The movie was terrible in comparison, so if you have watched it before reading, don't let it put you off!


Gone series by Michael Grant: The first book in this series is probably the book I have reread the most times. I loved this series from book one to the very ending. The idea of powers were inventive and you find some used that you probably haven't seen in other books. I had a lot of favourite characters, such as Edilio, Dekka and Duck.

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan: After reading these books I have become immersed in Greek mythology. These books are funny, informative and the characters are brilliant. I am sure you've heard all about the fandom around it, but these books are worth it!

Angel Cake by Cathy Cassidy: Cathy writes brilliant romances that are good for teens in any age range from 12 - 18. I have read all of her books excepting the recently published (which I have yet to get my hands on.) This book and the Chocolate Box series have been my favourites by her. This one deals with a Polish girl who moves to England and can't speak word of English, and how she falls in love while her family struggle to manage financially.























My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece by Annabel Pitcher: I have read both of her books and enjoyed them both for various reasons. This book is told from the perspective of Jamie whose life is torn apart because of his sister's death - someone he doesn't even remember. His sister was torn apart in a terrorist bombing. This book told a story about family, friendship and what it means to forgive. Strongly suggested!

Deenie by Judy Blume: This book was one I fell in love with as a young teenager. It tells the story of Deenie. Her mother is convinced she is going to be a model while her older sister has the "brains". But when she is diagnosed with scoliosis she has to wear a brace for the next few years, ending her modeling career for now. This is the story of how she deals with her condition, high school and her parents expectations.

Olivia's Question: Have you read any of these? Can you recommend a read to me?

Olivia-Savannah x

36 comments:

  1. Oh, The Little Prince <3 I remember loving it as a kid but I read it again this year and I was so surprised because of the amount of stuff I picked up that I didn't see as a child. The other one I've read and obviously loved is The Lightning Thief. Riordan can do no wrong LOL
    I'm gonna confess here that The Host is one of the few books I've DNF in my life *hides herself*. I just didn't feel it...
    The others I haven't read, but I do own Noughts & Crosses and I want to read it so badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe I had never read the book as a kid! But I still loved it all the same ^.^ And of course, Rick Riordan... nothing needs to be said! It's a shame you didn't like The Host, but I am glad you tried it. I can understand how it might not be everyone's cup of tea!

      You should really read N&C! It's soooo good!

      Delete
  2. Hi Olivia! You're right. The Host is definitely worth it. The middle is a little boring, but then things really spice up and I was hooked. Still, the pace is slow, but at least this book has some kind of good message.

    Percy Jackson is one of my favorites too! And besides, have you checked Rick Riordan's site? Lol. It's pretty cool. (That's the geek in me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a pretty big book but I found it worth the time! I read it in 2-3 days, that's how much I loved it!
      Oh yes, I have seen the site and it reminds me of how much an awesome author he really is ^^

      Delete
  3. 'The Little Prince' is one of my all time favorites! It's so special and lovely.

    - Love, Felicia
    ( http://asillygirlsthoughts.weebly.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great book! And I love how it is great for all ages as well.

      Delete
  4. First of all, thank you SO much for all of the comment love on my blog! I really appreciate it. *Hugs*

    I read the Host a while ago and thought that it was okay, but nothing special. Have you seen the movie? I actually liked the movie, which is surprising because I normally loathe book to movie adaptations. :P

    Gone and The Lightning Thief are simply amazing. Yes yes yes!

    I actually haven't read any of the other books, but they sound interesting. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! I enjoy reading blogs and yours is awesome :3

      I have seen the movie! I am quite the opposite of you though, because I loathed to movie xD I thought it didn't do a good representation at all and was sorta boring with bad acting. But then again, to each their own.

      Love those books <3

      Delete
  5. I loved The Host and Percy Jackson too! I've been meaning to read Gone for the longest time ever, hopefully I actually get to it this year :)

    Great post! :D
    ~Carina @ My Addiction:Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very good reads! If you get to it, I hope you enjoy it! I will be looking out for your review :)

      Delete
  6. Great list Liv ! (I have the biggest urge to call you Olivia Pope lmao) I haven't read the Percy Jackson series yet but I really want to marathon it next year. Oh and that Judy Blume book Deenie is calling my name, that cover is just so intriguing. Noughts & Crosses has been on my TBR for so long. I heard the first book is amazing, but the second not so much. I still won't let that stop me from picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! You should really do that marathon! They are absolutely amazing. The Judy Blume may be aimed at a younger audience, but it is a great book. I love that cover as well, even though there are a lot of different versions of it <3 I enjoyed all of the N&C's series, but that's a personal opinion. I hope you like them both when you try them!

      Delete
  7. There looks to be some great books here Olivia! The only one I have but I haven't got round to reading yet is The Host - but I have seen the movie which I enjoyed :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked the movie, and hope that extends to when you read the book as well.

      Delete
  8. I have read some in the Gone series, but not finished and need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite series of all time!

      Delete
  9. I told you I'd have a look! :P I loved Noughts and Crosses so so so so much, Malorie Blackman is just amazing :) I need to read the Gone series, I've heard good things. I haven't read that particular Cathy Cassidy book, but I've read and loved a lot of her others, especially Driftwood. If you like her, I'd recommend Chris Higgins, in particular It's a 50/50 Thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Malorie Blackman is a genius and she's one of my favourite authors. I have read nearly all her books! I hope you like the Gone Series. I have read Driftwood as well! I will check out Chris Higgins for sure :)

      Delete
  10. Great list, Olivia! The Little Prince is one of my all-time favourite novels and I have re-read it several times.
    Here is my Recommended Reads post: http://elliereadsfiction.blogspot.com/2014/11/recommended-reads-november-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! Can't wait to read it again. I will check out your post!

      Delete
  11. Hi Olivia - You have a great mix of books here. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there is something for you in there as well.

      Delete
  12. Great list! The Little Prince is such a little treasure of great lessons for both kids and adults! I've always wanted to read some Judy Blume!

    Andreea | http://catsfika.blogspot.ro/
    Check Out My New Food Blog Flavour Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever you get the chance to, try Deenie. It's fabulous!

      Delete
  13. Girl, I haven't read any of these books yet. I still haven't gotten around to reading The Host by miss Twilight herself, and I've heard some amazing things about that one! My last final is Dec. 11th and I plan to fully immerse myself in a pile of books and pots of coffee! Percy Jackson is on my TBR list for winter break, and this post couldn't have come at a better time! I have added a few to my list as well. Great choices girl. If I could recommend one book to you, it would be The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. It is probably my favorite series of all time right now. Realistic romance and characters, historic treasure hunts, mystical kings, and a touch of paranormal thrown in for flavor. It's ahhhmazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your finals go well! Yay for holidays where you can sit back and read a lot of books ^^ You just have to read The Host and I am pretty sure you will love it! I hope you like PJ too! I haven't read The Raven Boys yet but after seeing your wonderful reviews I really have to read it :D

      Delete
  14. Love this post and the different mini-reviews. I LOVE Noughts and Crosses, one of my all time favourite series. You're making me want to reread that series so badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Finally someone who loves them as well. They are definitely the bestest :)

      Delete
  15. Gone series by Michael Grant is so awesome. I'm in delicious agony when I read them, because I'm equal parts excited and anxious to read them. But I hope you'll enjoy the rest. Also, The Host. Yep. Awesome book for readers who are not quite readers of Sci-Fi. It just has enough elements to it to distinguish is as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read all of the Gone series and loved each and every one <3 And The Host was wonderfully written.

      Delete
  16. Oooh I had read your post a few days ago, and I didn't realize I forgot to comment! Thank you for the amazing recommendations. I read Deenie a while back and it's an amazing book. I've heard a lot about the Lightening Thief but haven't read it yet. I shall check it out now!

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for returning to do so! I really liked Deenie. And you really should read Percy Jackson! They're so much fun :D

      Delete
  17. Ah, The Host and Percy Jackson were a lot of fun to read! I enjoyed those books as well. Percy Jackson remains a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a book I will be holding dear to me for a long time. I loved The Host as well!

      Delete
  18. I was obsessed with Judy Blume books when I was growing up, so I read and loved Deenie. I also read the whole Percy Jackson series and now I am onto another one by Rick Riordan

    I have been wanting to read The Host and The Little Prince, so I liked finding them both here. I may read The Little Prince first, since it is short. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot of her books around that time as well! And I have a few on my shelf still. PJ is amazing and I need to start the second series! I hope you get to reading those both! Some amazing books in store :3

      Delete