Thursday, 13 November 2014

My Own Mr. Darcy (Review)

Hi there!

Title: My Own Mr Darcy
Author:
 Karey White

Publisher:  Orange Door Press

Published Date:  21st November 2013
Rating: 3 Stars

*Thank you to ebooks4review for sending me a copy for review*

Synopsis: After being dragged to the 2005 movie Pride and Prejudice by her mother, sixteen-year-old Elizabeth’s life changes when Matthew Macfadyen’s Mr. Darcy appears on the screen. Lizzie falls hard and makes a promise to herself that she will settle for nothing less than her own Mr. Darcy. This ill-advised pledge threatens to ruin any chance of finding true love. During the six intervening years, she has refused to give any interested suitors a chance. They weren’t Mr. Darcy enough.

Coerced by her roommate, Elizabeth agrees to give the next interested guy ten dates before she dumps him. That guy is Chad, a kind and thoughtful science teacher and swim coach. While she’s dating Chad, her dream comes true in the form of a wealthy bookstore owner named Matt Dawson, who looks and acts like her Mr. Darcy. Of course she has to follow her dream. But as Elizabeth simultaneously dates a regular guy and the dazzling Mr. Dawson, she’s forced to re-evaluate what it was she loved about Mr. Darcy in the first place.

Review: I am going to admit, I have never read Pride & Prejudice, even though I own it and it’s on my TBR shelf. I also have never seen the movie. But when you read this book, you don’t really have to.
In general, I liked this, but as far as romances go this was… underwhelming? I do like romance, but only if it is very entertaining, otherwise I might bored. There was a love triangle because there needs to be one to keep the book going, and Elizabeth is tied between dating Matt Dawson, someone who is just like the Mr. Darcy she has dreamed about for years, or Chad, someone who is so different, but she can’t stop thinking about all the time.
 
What I did like about the book was that it didn’t simply focus on her romance. It spanned into everything that affected her emotions in the book, which meant her family and how her job was going. We also get to hear a lot about her thoughts, and that was welcome. Elizabeth is an interesting character, and sometimes it was interesting to see how her obsession had affected her so much, but how she did realise it herself.
 
I really didn’t like Matt’s character. He was mean, selfish and uncaring. He was all about creating impressions and sometimes left Elizabeth’s emotions in the dust. She does spend a lot of time with him in the book, and that is why I couldn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to. He was too mean, too annoying, and I couldn’t even see the small good part of him that Elizabeth tried to see and bring out in him.
The ending was fairly predictable… but that didn’t stop it from being a pleasant read. I think I have mixed feelings about this one. I think you would like it if you don’t mind reading classics with slow romances.
 
Ongoing giveaway: Open to US, Canada & UK!
 
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/f2a15e3132/" rel="nofollow">a Rafflecopter giveaway


 
Olivia’s Question: Is there a character in a movie you wouldn’t mind falling in love with?
 
Olivia-Savannah x
 
 
 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia - I like your review. Very open and honest. Also, it may be a plus that you didn't have Pride & Prejudice to which to compare this. That way it stands on its own. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of it as reading the book as its own, but more so as possibly missing something. It's nice to look at it this way though :)

      Delete
  2. You need to read Pride&Prejudice. It's so good, and it's not just a romance novel. Elizabeth is so smart and the book is so funny. Elizabeth's dad is my favourite character!
    Andreea | http://catsfika.blogspot.ro/
    Check Out My New Food Blog Flavour Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to push it up on my TBR list! I have heard so many positive things about it, and I have the whole Jane Austen collection as well :3

      Delete
  3. I don't remember whether I actually read Pride & Prejudice-I don't remember it if I did! This does sound like a story line that would keep me interested--if not angry from what you have said about the Mr. Darcy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, it can't have stuck too much in your memory then! Seeing as you like romances, you might enjoy this one ^^

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Pride and Prejudice either, and I also haven't seen the movie. But this sounds like a great read. Going to add this to my TBR :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it :) We should both read the classic sometimes soon!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love Pride and Prejudice :) You need to read it!
    I'm doing a monthly post with recommended reads and wanted to invite you to join in, either with a post of your own or just with your recommendations in the comments. This month's post will go live on Nov 30.
    http://elliereadsfiction.blogspot.com/2014/11/recommended-reads-october-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I will try to! And I would love to join in with your meme <3 Thanks for the offer.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read Pride and Prejudice either, you are not the only though. Amazing review! Thanks for sharing =)

    Benish | Feminist Reflections
    A Thousand Pieces of You Hardcover Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I am not alone in this ^.^

      Delete
  7. Oh girl, I really hope you end up reading Pride and Prejudice someday. It is a truly wonderful story, full of romance and historical fiction. And Mr. Darcy. *Sigh* I've never heard of this book, but I probably would have ended up reading it if I hadn't seen your review. Underwhelming romances are almost sad to read. I love my paranormal books because, even if the romance isn't great, at least there is a ton of craziness going on that distracts from the poorly written relationships! Hopefully your next read is more exciting!
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Romances have to be strong reads because not much else isn't going on excepting romance. I will try and find another good one in the genre. And I will try getting to pride and prejudice.

      Delete
  8. I've never read Pride and Prejudice either, although I feel like I should. I can just never seem to get myself to finally take the plunge and start it. Great review, this sounds like an okay read but probably one I won't be making a priority to get to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is my feels when it comes to a lot of classics, but then I end up enjoying them immensely in the end!

      Delete
  9. Matt sounds just like Darcy from P&P, they are both mean, neither show emotion, neglect their women... but ultimately Darcy succumbs to his love for Elizabeth. I have a feeling the ending of this book was kinda similar? I've always felt that the P&P spin-off type books are never that wonderful. Good and honest review, though :) Great blog!

    Keep in touch!
    Jen xx
    jenteablog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe it was, although I wouldn't know completely because I haven't read it. I will try it though. Thank you <3

      Delete
  10. Olivia!
    The synopsis sounds good. I enjoyed reading Pride and Prejudice. You must read it for Elizabeth! And of course, Mr. Darcy. Which is probably why I would try this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to try it! I have heard so many positive things about the characters ^.^

      Delete
  11. YES. There most certainly is a character in a book I wouldn't mind falling in love with and I think you know which one. I think, if I read this book, I would have mixed feelings about it too. A slow romance isn't too bad for me but the mean character doesn't sound nice. Thumbs up for being honest and not putting the book down too hard. I did really like the first paragraph of the blurb by the way, made it already sound interesting. It is a unique idea when you think about it. How was the main character?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha yes I do and I know it has something to do with the Gone series ^^

      Delete