Tuesday, 25 February 2014

A High Wind In Jamaica (Book Review)

Hey there! Time for another book review and a suggested read?

I’m taking it back now to a classic. It’s a small, not as a well-known one as my favourite, Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I haven’t read many classics at all – apart from this one and my fave, just Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. (Do not read Wuthering Heights… but that’s a story for another day.) The book I recently read is called A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes.
The story follows a group of children. They set off from Jamaica after a devastating hurricane sweeps through the land and blows away their house. Their parents who are driven by their worry for their children’s safety, puts them on a boat to send them to England. But on the way that boat is intercepted by pirates, and so the children’s adventure begins.

When I read the blurb I was like, hold up, not another pirate story. (I haven’t read many pirate stories though, so I have no clue why I thought that…) but this story is different and unique, and I love it. The children are realistic and act their ages. You get to see some piracy through the child’s eyes, and it’s interesting to note what children see is important and what they don’t think is important. They understand some things and they don’t. But most of all they are children, and can be manipulated. This book was so interesting because I think it captured the mind of some children wonderfully, and very realistically. And that’s what kept me reading and hooked, as well as Richard Hughes awesome writing skills.

The main characters of this are the children themselves. But there is one child I was most interested in, and that’s Emily. At the beginning of the voyage she is quiet, and withdrawn. But then she on the ship she comes out of her shell and you can see how she is wild and reckless. You can see how she is careful and cautious. Her childlike character is more grown up then some of the others, but it was still intriguing. Especially as I mentioned before, what she saw as important, and what she was able to pick up on. Emily also has a lot of ideas, and the process of her comparing their likelihood and cancelling them out is compelling to read. Another more bizarre but definitely a character to watch for is Margaret. You can really see how being on a pirate ship changes her, because she is older and can understand more than the little ones can.
Most of all, what I love about his book is the journey that you go on with the children yourself. At first in Jamaica, you can see how their life is peaceful, but boring. Then they get on the ship and they forget all about their past life in Jamaica. And you yourself forget about it until the story mentions it one more time, just because you’re embarking on the same journey with the children. You can see the stages of the journey at the end, and you can’t help but admire the skill that Richard Hughes used to carry you through it.
I hope you take a chance on this novel and try it out. I would read the first two chapters and give it a shot ;)

Have fun reading! Any books you want a review on particularly? What are your favourite classics?
Olivia-Savannah x

12 comments:

  1. Great post! Thank you for stopping by!

    Come back soon to visit me on The Notebook of a Fashion Lover

    Evi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Your outfits are gorgeous ^^

      Delete
  2. Not something I would read but happy you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not every book is for everyone :) But thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. I have never even heard of this book, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for reviewing it, and thanks so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never hear of this one but great review!

    thanks for stopping by!

    Leydy @ OUaT & Redcarpetendings

    ReplyDelete
  5. The children's journey in this one does sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Katy read this blog and liked it! You shouldn't really tell people not to read whithering heights for the same reason you said in the cons of blogging. Somebody might like the book and be offended that you said that. I like your review though, especially how you focused on your favourite character and then described her in detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agh, you should tell Katy thanks for going and checking it out too. I understand that, but it's my opinion and although I respect that some people might be offended, I think because it's a personal blog I should also be free to voice my own opinions. I will try not to step on anyone's toes in the process though, if you get my meaning. :)

      Delete