Saturday, 11 January 2014

How to be Less Car Sick


Hi there! Today I would like to share with you the best tips I’ve gathered from personal experience on how to fend off car sickness. Motion sickness is the correct term, but I’m specifically referring to be in the car. I’m actually writing this while in the car myself, and I don’t expect to escape for another four hours. I’m already breaking one of the rules I am about to share with you, but the inspiration for this post hit, so I had to write it!

The first one is one you’ve probably heard before. Try and sit in the front. The reason for this is the world looks like it’s coming onto you much slower from the window at the front. It really looks like it’s rushing by through the side windows. That usually leads to dizziness, and that isn’t good.

This is the rule I was breaking myself. Try not to read or use screens. This may just be a personal one, but it definitely doesn’t help me feel any better.

Another is to be constantly munching on something. I used to buy myself one pack of sweets, and regularly chew one as much as possible. Not the healthiest option, I know! But I find that having your mouth constantly working does help. I’ve switched to chewing dry cornflakes, dried fruit; anything works as long as it comes in small bite size bits that you can chew.

Thirdly, try not to move about too much. Try not to be twisting in your seat, or bending forwards or turning around. This usually comes naturally to people who are carsick, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyways.

If it’s a long journey, try to sleep. Sleep is like, my magical cure to every illness. Also, having the seatbelt pulled tight around you can also make you feel queasy. Loosen it up a bit. Personally, I loosen it and then hold it back with my arm throughout the whole journey so that it doesn’t tighten up again.

Lastly, if you think you are going to be sick, make sure the driver pulls over! Nothing makes you feel sicker than constantly smelling sick nearby you.

I hope this helps you feel less queasy when sitting in a moving car. I’ve noticed strong smelling cars don’t help. What makes you less ill? Have you got any handy tips to share as well?
 
Olivia-Savannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment