Hey there Catastrophes!
If you've checked out my latest post of how to be the best babysitter ever then you know I did some baking with the children yesterday! I thought it would be nice to post the recipe so other people could try them too. The results were pretty good. You could taste the lemon, and the shapes were fine. They were a bit crusty though, next time I'll put them in for a shorter amount of time so the texture is nice and fluffy! Right, in the future I will make a youtube video of how to make them if people find that easier than reading the recipe (I know, a lot of future blog post promises!) On to it then:
To make 10-13 muffins you'll need:
300 grams (10 oz) plain flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
150 grams (5oz) caster sugar
50 grams (2oz) butter
1 medium egg
A 12 hole muffin tin (or more if need be)
Decorations (small sweets and so on)
For the icing (optional)
175 grams (6 oz) icing sugar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice squeezed from lemon from the main mixture.
*Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius or gas mark 6.
*The muffins should be stored in an airtight container and eaten within two days time.
Instructions: 1. Butter the muffin tine, or use oil.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the casting sugar and mix everything together.
3.Grate the lemon, and cut it in half and squeeze all the juice out of it. (put aside the juice you will use for the icing later)
4. Cut the butter into pieces and put it in a pan with the lemon juice and rind. Add four tablespoons of milk and heat until the butter melts.
5. Pour this mixture into the bowl with all the flour, and add the rest of the milk. Stir thoroughly.
6. Pour the mixture into the muffin holes. Let them bake in the oven for fifteen minutes.
7. Loosen them and cut each muffin in half. Spread jam on the inside of each muffin, and then close them.
8. Sift the icing sugar into a separate bowl and mix with the leftover lemon juice. Spoon the icing onto the muffins and decorate with sweets.
Bon appetite! Video coming in the future. How did your muffins turn out? These are my results undecorated and fresh from the oven: